I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Santa cuteness & English Toffee

I just had to share this picture of 3 of my grandchildren.
My daughter in law, Lisa, is dressed as Santa.
They do this so the children aren't afraid of the man in the red suit.
I'm pretty sure it worked 

English toffee is one our Christmas baking traditions
We have been making toffee for years, usually several batches. 
It always amazes me that you can make the same recipe over and over
and still get a big batch of failure.
This year we have had pretty good luck. 

English Toffee

2 Cups Butter (Wal Mart butter doesn't seem to work very well)
2 Cups Sugar
2 Tablespoons Water
2 Cups chopped almonds (roasted and salted)
1-2 Cups Milk Chocolate Chips

Line a LARGE cookie sheet with foil and spread almonds evenly over foil and set aside
(save some almonds for the top)
Place butter, sugar and water in heavy pan.
 Mix together over medium high heat stirring constantly 
until mixture turns the color of a brown paper sack (about 285-290 degrees F).
Pour mixture over the almond covered foil lined cookie sheet.
Spread evenly, then pour chocolate chips on top of toffee, 
allow the chips to melt, then spread evenly with a knife.
Top with remaining almonds. 
Allow to cool for several hours, then break into pieces.



Katy tried a little different version, she used white chocolate chips
and crushed candy canes to top this toffee.
It does look like Christmas!

2 comments:

Jana said...

Lisa makes a pretty good Santa! We should have her dress up as Santa on Christmas Eve! :)

Rochelle said...

Oh my I am making some of this right away! Yum! Your family is so beautiful!