I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. I've contemplated on many occasions rather I should quit this blog or not. Each time I am inspired that I should not. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever! This I know. Our family continues to live and to love and this is our story...

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

a little reminder

I have the opportunity to volunteer at a cancer institute every Monday. 
 It is truly an amazing place. 
I have the best job in the hospital. I have a cart filled with cold juice, water, snacks,
blankets, hats, magazines and dvd's. 
I have the opportunity to go into each of the patient rooms and offer them anything on
my cart. As I walk into the rooms I feel as though I am on sacred ground.
Each of these patients are fighting for their lives. 
It is all very familiar to me, the bald heads, the beeping pumps,
the throw up buckets, the look in their eyes.
These patients and their family members have all come to know what is important
and what truly matters.
One of the hardest things about my volunteer job is looking through the obituaries
and finding that so many of my sweet friends didn't make it through the week. 
It breaks my heart and brings me to tears.
Cancer is so unfair.  
I hope and pray that I can keep focused and the clarity of what matters can
remain with me and I can see clearly what truly matters and what is
merely trivial.


I've just got to post some pictures of Kristen.
These were all taken 3 years ago this very week. 
Her last trip to the lake that she loved so much.
To Kristen,
Thank you for reminding all of us to remember 
 what is truly important in life. Because of you we will continue to 
look for joy every single day.



6 comments:

Salinas family said...

Dear Dear Polly,
I love that you are using your compassionate heart in such sweet service. So many will benefit from what you have learned through your journey with Kristen - what matters most, what's most important, and what really doesn't matter at all.
Love the pictures of Kristen - so glad you have these pictures of so many happy family times.
Her light surely shines bright through the kindnesses of her mama's heart!
You are a blessing to so many!
Karen

Amy L said...

You are a blessing to so many Polly. I admire you getting out there and selflessly giving to others. You are a precious gift to those families and children that are fighting cancer. I'm sure they look forward to your visits. Kristen's light is shining brightly through you. And thanks you for continuing to share pics of Kristen. I love seeing her smiling face.:)

Rochelle said...

Best person in that job ever! I know you light up those patients rooms just with your beautiful personality. Cancer does stink, we are praying today for Alayna's EI speech therapist who is having surgery again for cancer. Ugh.
Love the pics of Kristen...

Peter Olson said...

Keep up the great work!

I for one appreciated those plastic containers which were always at the ready for what the stomach could no longer contain. :-(

Love & Hugs!

Angi said...

Thinking of you and your super wonderful girl...glad you can look forward and brighten the lives of others...it's the little things that count !

Tricia said...

You are doing work that counts and is such a tribute to Kristen! Those patients are so lucky to have a person who really gets what they need most ; o )