I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. I've contemplated on many occasions rather I should quit this blog or not. Each time I am inspired that I should not. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever! This I know. Our family continues to live and to love and this is our story...

Thursday, August 30, 2012

a few reasons why

I love August...

the harvest


making a fresh batch of salsa using only ingredients
from  your garden


the corn is fabulous

and the peaches and tomatoes are the best


picking yet another 5 gallon bucket of cucumbers
cucumbers anyone?


here is the reason my 5 rows of string beans disappeared



the sunflowers and the smell of fall in the air


my favorite part of my garden has been this row of zinnias
many bouquets have been delivered to Kristen's grave

August is the perfect month to make my favorite 
fresh squeezed lemonade
1 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup of sugar
7 cups of water
lots of ice
boil 1 cup of the water and the sugar
just until sugar is dissolved
add the remaining ingredients
add lots of ice the more ice the better the lemonade
go outside and find a shady spot and sip your lemonade
enjoy the humming birds and the butterflies
that make their way into your yard
you won't be disappointed


it's a great month to bake a fabulous cake for your family
just for the heck of it


the state fair begins next week
tomorrow I am off to the city to spend the day
judging the 4-H items
this should be fun
I promise to be kind and award lots of blue ribbons


what do you love about August?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

August is the month we got married. :) We live in the Northwest and already there is a slight chill in the air. Some of the trees are beginning to change color and there is an excitement about fall. August is usually quieter for us, not so busy, more time to relax. I love August!

Joyce said...

Oh I bet the Utah State Fair is a gem. I have always been partial to August too. Married the man I love on the 2nd and birthed my precious Sarah on the 9th.

Kristin said...

So cool you are a judge at the fair! We LOVE the fair.