In celebration of Down syndrome awareness month, here are 21 facts about Kristen...
1. Kristen was born on a rainy Saturday afternoon in May.
We had no prenatal testing and no ultrasound, so we were surprised
to find out she was a girl and even more surprised to find out she was
carrying an extra chromosome.
2. Kristen was healthy, other than she had an ASD (atrial septal defect),
which was a hole in her heart. She did not need surgery to repair it as it closed
on it's own by her 5th Birthday.
3. Kristen was a happy bright eyed baby.
4. Kristen was Raggedy Ann for her first Halloween.
5. Kristen walked before her second birthday and was potty trained by her third birthday.
6. She went to preschool when she was 3 years old.
She never really liked school.
7. Kristen learned some sign language and made up many of her own signs.
8. She LOVED Better Cheddar crackers.
She always had a box within reach.
9. Kristen and her brother had a pet lamb named Lucy.
10. Kristen loved to play with her brothers cap guns.
She even asked Santa for a gun.
11. Kristen always wanted a yellow car.
I think that is the only thing she ever wanted that she didn't get.
12. Kristen was a stinker. She loved to play tricks on everyone.
13. She loved her birthday and Christmas. In fact, she loved all of the holidays.
14. Kristen fought Leukemia for almost 8 of her 24 years.
15. When Kristen was 18, she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
16. She did not like treats, especially candy. Once in a while she would ask for
ice cream, a chocolate chip cookie or a chocolate cupcake with NO frosting.
17. She loves her family and we all love her.
18. Kristen re-defined the words courage and bravery.
19. Her laughter and smile could light up any room.
20. She is missed more than we could possibly ever say.
21. Kristen is our angel. She's everyone's angel.
She's our little pumpkin.