I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. I've contemplated on many occasions rather I should quit this blog or not. Each time I am inspired that I should not. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever! This I know. Our family continues to live and to love and this is our story...

Friday, November 11, 2011

"Freedom is never Free" ~author unknown

 President Woodrow Wilson first proclaimed an Armistice Day for 
November 11, 1918.
 In proclaiming the holiday, he said,
"To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations."
On May 26, 1954,  Armistice was replaced with "Veterans" as
 President Dwight Eisenhower signed it into law

Today as we celebrate Veterans Day, I will be keeping a 
few soldiers close in my thoughts.

Dave is in Iraq


 Bradey is in Afghanistan. 


Ashleigh is attending boot camp in Illinois 


Dave is my son in law. Dave was deployed before he and Kim 
celebrated their first wedding anniversary.
Bradey is married to my niece, Hailey. 
This is the first deployment for both Dave and Bradey.
 I cannot believe the sacrifices both of these families are making.
Dave and Bradey are both true heroes.
I have also spent a lot of time with Kim and Hailey 
and these girls are also heroes. 

Next is Ashleigh. She is the daughter of my friend, Joany. 
She joined the Navy just months ago.
As tragedy struck their family this past month, 
both Ashleigh and her family have shown amazing
strength and courage. Ashleigh has continued to stay the 
course against all odds. She is also a true hero.

Another interesting fact about Veterans Day,

The holiday is often celebrated by having a ravioli meal.
 This tradition dates back to the ending days of World War I 
when President Woodrow Wilson, aware that the returning 
soldiers would be longing for home cooked meals, 
invited 2,000 soldiers to the White House and helped his 
staff chefs cook them ravioli, which had just become 
a mainstay in mainstream American kitchens 
due to commercial canning.

It does not matter if you celebrate with a ravioli meal or not. 
What matters is that you take time
to think about and pray for the brave men and women 
who are serving our country and for their families.



 "It is easy to take liberty for granted, 

when you have never had it taken from you."

~ Unknown 

2 comments:

The VW's said...

Love that quote! I plan on stealing it....so thanks! :) Also, thank you for sharing these service members with all of us, so that we can pray for them! Hugs!

Zoey's mom, Heather said...

Sending you all my prayers filled with gratitude for the sacrifice made by all these beautiful people in your lives.

Look at Ashleigh. I can't wait for Joany and Paul to get their aching arms around her.