I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. I've contemplated on many occasions rather I should quit this blog or not. Each time I am inspired that I should not. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever! This I know. Our family continues to live and to love and this is our story...

Monday, November 7, 2011

cookies for the homeless and a little gratitude

A group from our church met today to feed the homeless. Yesterday in church I signed up to bring 2 dozen cookies. I was supposed to drop the cookie off by 4 pm. It was exactly 2:37 when I remembered the cookies. I’m not sure what it is with me, but I cannot remember anything. This has been going on for several months. I walk into a store and stand there and wonder what it was I was going to pick up. I finally started carrying a notebook around, but I forgot to write myself a note about the cookies. I hurried into the kitchen and someone had taken my recipe book. I couldn’t find it anywhere. I ran back to the computer and googled oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I found a recipe from Betty Crocker. I didn’t have time for failures and I knew Betty wouldn’t let me down. I quickly stirred up the batch of cookies and threw the first dozen into the over. 9 minutes later, a perfect pan of cookies. I was excited as I knew I could easily have another dozen ready and cooled by 4. There is one thing I forgot, I burn everything. I can even burn a box of mac and cheese. Yup, that’s right, the second pan of cookies…burnt. For the next batch I seriously stood by the oven and watched them bake. 3rd pan was a charm.  I finally had my 2 dozen cookies (minus 2) ready to go.

As I walked home I started thinking about the homeless people and the meal they were about to be served. Would it be the first hot meal they had received in a very long while? Would they have a warm place to sleep? I then started thinking about all the blessings I have received. Every minute of every day I feel I am being blessed. I continually think of Kristen and all of the blessings she brought with her. She taught me that gratitude does not need to be saved for Thanksgiving. Every single day is filled with miracles and blessings. If we open our hearts we will find reasons to be grateful. I know well the reality of the world we live in. Life is not easy. We are surrounded by tragedies and troubles of every kind. There are many things wrong in the world, but there are also many things right. I truly believe as I lift myself above the negative thoughts and try with all my might to cultivate an attitude of gratitude I can go forward. I have come to realize as I
sincerely give thanks I am more able to recognize my blessings and all of the many blessings Kristen received. Having a grateful heart also unlocks the doors of heaven and I feel God’s love for me. Because I love someone in heaven, I long to feel heaven every single day.

Here is the recipe I tried today. It was pretty good, as long as you set the timer and don't burn them.
I only had rolled oats so I used them instead of quick oats, but the mixture was too dry so I added another egg and they seemed much better.


Betty Crocker Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose or unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
 Heat oven to 350°F. 
In large bowl, stir brown sugar and butter until blended. 
Stir in vanilla and egg until light and fluffy. 
Stir in oats, flour, baking soda and salt; stir in chocolate chips and nuts. 
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
 Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. 

A quick update on the fundraising for Miss Maribel...
So far we have raised $110.00 Yay!!!!!!
I changed her donation box to a chip-in, that way we can have 
a raffle or something fun. If you donate, it will take a day or so for the amount 
to show in her box because the sweet ladies at Reece's rainbow have to
enter the numbers manually.
Thanks to all those who have donated so far.
Remember if you donate $35.00 you will receive a Christmas ornament.

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

You are Betty Crocker herself. Look at your yummy cookies. Thankful for the blessing of you!