I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. I've contemplated on many occasions rather I should quit this blog or not. Each time I am inspired that I should not. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever! This I know. Our family continues to live and to love and this is our story...

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

love does last forever

My heart has been heavy the past few days thinking about  Joany and her family. At this point, all I know is that there was a fire in their home and their son perished. Joany and Paul were not home at the time. Their daughter, Ashleigh, who is serving in the Navy, should be on her way home soon. As I stood in my warm home surrounded my family
 I almost felt guilty that I could have such a comfort when my friend Joany doesn't even have a home to go home to. Was it right that I was surrounded by my children and my grandchildren as they were making caramel apples? Was it right that we were smiling and laughing together as a family? 
I have come to know that life is fragile. Things can change in a very short time. Kristen has taught me to live each and every day to the fullest, because none of us know when it might be out last, or the last one of someone we love. Every single day should be treated as the last day. I am sure that when my day comes and I look back on my life, it isn't going to be the material things that I wish I had more of. I'm not going to wish I had spent more time at the office or at the salon pampering myself. It is times spent with those I love and care about that are going to have the most meaning. I believe we are here to serve others and to serve God. Everything else is secondary. I know that love, compassion, kindness and memories lasts forever. Those are the things we will take with us into the next life. I believe with my whole heart that the tragic death of both Brad and Carly were not in vain. I believe that both their lives and their deaths can teach us great truths and help us all to try  harder to be better people. 


Eric Lund had leukemia. He had courage and humor that sustained him through the painful months of his illness. When he was laying near death in a hospital in New York, he saw the despair and anguish on his mothers face. He then said something very beautiful and powerful. 
"Mom, walk in the world for me."
What he was really saying to his mother was this: 
"Mother, I don't want my death to diminish your life. 
I want you to live better and love deeper because I was here." 
(taken from Grieving by Deanna Edwards)


That is what I believe we can all learn from the death of Brad, of Carly and of Kristen.


Lets all do whatever we can do for the George family. I do have an address where cards can be sent. e-mail me if you need the address.
Go out and make some memories with those you love and always remember,
Love lasts forever.













9 comments:

Zoey's mom, Heather said...

I was on the edge of tears this morning anyway and this did it. It was what I needed to hear as I am struggling with the everyday things, even posting anything because I think it some how diminishes what Joany and Paul are going through.

Last night, on my run, I looked up at the almost full moon and it reminded me of my friend and something her son told her as he realized at the tender age of 8, that his life here was almost done. His told his mom that he would always be with her. And she, desperate for anything in that moment, asked how, how will I know you are with me. and he said." I will not be just a star but the brightest one. I will not be just the wind but the gentle breeze and I will not be just the moon but the full one."

It is in the living and the dying, that I have learned my greatest lessons in this life.

Thank you Polly for this and for your girl.

stephanie said...

Oh Polly, you've got me crying now!
We went to the beach yesterday because it was a great warm day but also because of the tragedy that The George's are dealing with. i wanted to do something out of the ordinary. Make a memory I wouldn't have had otherwise. while we were at the beach there were tons of butterflies. Not a common sight at the beach or in October up here. just saying...

The VW's said...

Beautifully written! I have been struggling with going about my days ever since I learned of their horrific loss. I keep thinking that I shouldn't be enjoying so much, because someone is suffering so deeply! But, you are so right.....this kind of thing is a powerful lesson to us all! We aren't garanteed a tomorrow and we have to live each day to it's fullest. The deaths of Brad and Carly...and Kristen too, are an opporunity to live on, and carry out their names. None of this makes sense, but we can all try to make sense out of it by living this life with intensity.....and remembering & sharing the lessons these beautiful people have taught us! We have to carry on their legacies and do good in their name.....and in the name of Christ! Thanks for this reminder! You are definitely succeeding in keeping Kristen's light shining brightly! Hugs!!!

Emma said...

Yes the only thing of eternal worth is our trust in Jesus. I too have been struggling with God over why this has happened, but I believe He does have a better plan. What, I don't know. If some more people would come to accept His offer of salvation because of a tragedy like this, then that would make it worth it.

"Then He will turn and say to His Father, truly My suffering was worth it all!" Throughout this hardship today God has been encouraging me and I know He will make that day amazing. Maybe though there are still souls needing to accept Him. Maybe.

I hope people are encouraged by this - it's never easy writing about things like this.

Many blessings,
E x

Kristin said...

Great post, and great comments, too. Thank you.

Heather said...

They've been on my mind and heart a lot lately too...I still can't comprehend their loss. Thank you for reminding us to realize what's important. :)

Joyce said...

Polly, Your words are so beautifully spoken. I can't imagine what it must be like to loose a child. I think about it and often wonder, yet unless one has walked in those shoes it is not something we can begin to understand.

Your sweet Kristen has been involved in something so powerful, I know there are a few adults right now, myself included who are trying to put the magnitude of it all in it's place. Ken Lilly did a post on Friday http://blogzilly.blogspot.com/2011/10/you-all-everybody.html that begins to open up what has been happening that has allowed his faith to be restored.

I have lived for nearly fifty two years and am just now beginning to realize how interconnected we all are.

Joany and Paul have such a tremendous loss before them, yet I am certain that at some point they too will be given some earthly nod to allow them to realize their pain was not without plan.

I look at your precious grandchildren and all I see is love. You are an incredible woman Polly. I am so honored to have been given an opportunity to be included in your circle.

Peter Olson said...

wow

How much can a heart bear?

Anna said...

Im so glad I saw this post on the sidebar on Heathers blog. I have been SO BURDENED for this family. I have asked others to pray. I am working on something for her.