I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Friday, October 7, 2011

Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn. ~Elizabeth Lawrence

Every day for the past few weeks I have gone outside and sat in the swing. Each day I notice a few more leaves have changed. Yesterday, this is what I saw...

So I hurried out and gathered all of these...

With the cooler weather, I spent some time inside and finally finished Kristen's Halloween photo blocks. I found pictures of her in different Halloween costumes. Some of them make me laugh as I can remember how funny she was and how much she liked to get dressed up. 






 While were at the mall today, Kim took Ellie into Build A Bear and told her she could have a bear. She said she didn't want one for herself, but that she wanted to make one for the sick children in the hospital. They were even having a buy one get one sale so Kim told Ellie she could have one and give one to the children in the hospital. Ellie said that she wanted both of them to go to the children in the hospital. She was especially excited to choose a Wizards of Waverly Place bear because she knew Kristen would love it. The kiddies know that we take bears to the children in the cancer unit. They really are so excited to help.

My children are more kind and more loving because of Kristen. I can also say that my grandchildren have  learned a few things from Kristen. It is so true that children with Down syndrome will change your life in ways you could have never imagined. Where else could you find a 4 year old who was happy to pass up a cute new bear just so that a sick child could have one?  Kristen taught us  to slow down a bit and notice the small and simple things in life, like the changing of the leaves. 

2 comments:

Amy L said...

Your granddaughter is precious! Kristen has touched so many hearts.:) I love all the pictures of her on Halloween too. Hugs to you and your family Polly!

Cindy said...

That's the view from your backyard? Gorgeous!

Such a thoughtful granddaughter you have; willing to give away the bears. Your family brings joy to so many.