I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Saturday, October 29, 2011

21 facts

In celebration of Down syndrome awareness month, here are 21 facts about Kristen...

1. Kristen was born on a rainy Saturday afternoon in May.
We had no prenatal testing and no ultrasound, so we were surprised 
to find out she was a girl and even more surprised to find out she was 
carrying an extra chromosome.


2. Kristen was healthy, other than she had an ASD (atrial septal defect),
which was a hole in her heart. She did not need surgery to repair it as it closed
on it's own by her 5th Birthday.
3. Kristen was a happy bright eyed baby.


4. Kristen was Raggedy Ann for her first Halloween.


5. Kristen walked before her second birthday and was potty trained by her third birthday.
6. She went to preschool when she was 3 years old.
She never really liked school. 


7. Kristen learned some sign language and made up many of her own signs.
8. She LOVED Better Cheddar crackers. 
She always had a box within reach.
9. Kristen and her brother had a pet lamb named Lucy.



10. Kristen loved to play with her brothers cap guns. 
She even asked Santa for a gun.


11. Kristen always wanted a yellow car.
I think that is the only thing she ever wanted that she didn't get.
12. Kristen was a stinker. She loved to play tricks on everyone.
13. She loved her birthday and Christmas. In fact, she loved all of the holidays.
14. Kristen fought Leukemia for almost 8 of her 24 years.
15. When Kristen was 18, she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
16. She did not like treats, especially candy. Once in a while she would ask for
ice cream, a chocolate chip cookie or a chocolate cupcake with NO frosting.


17. She loves her family and we all love her.


18. Kristen re-defined the words courage and bravery.
19. Her laughter and smile could light up any room.
20. She is missed more than we could possibly ever say.
21. Kristen is our angel. She's everyone's angel.


She's our little pumpkin.



11 comments:

Lea White said...

What a beautiful post of your very brave daughter! We only walked the leukemia journey with my daughter for 830 days, I cannot imagine doing it for 8 years!

Joyce said...

I loved reading all the little facts I did not know about Kristen.
Such a cute Raggedy Ann. I wanted to reach out and pinch her little cheeks.

I smiled at the pink shirt tied up with the plastic circle. Sarah and I did that too. I'll have to find a picture. I wonder whatever happened to those things?

And how do you go from lambs to guns?:) Brothers, that's how and our girls were blessed with good ones Polly.

Such a beautiful family!!!

She is definately an angel watching out for us all. Thank you so much for sharing your precious girl.

Cammie Heflin said...

What a beautiful girl, we miss her too!

Amy L said...

Kristen and Jimmy walked at the same age and were also potty trained at about the same time. I bet they would have loved playing together too:) We miss Kristen! Thank you for sharing her with us.

Cindy said...

Great post! I enjoyed reading all about Kristen. I didn't know they owned a sheep!

Pam said...

Such a beautiful post, thank you so much for sharing all the beautiful pictures of Kristen.

Kristin said...

Great post. Loved that she wanted a yellow car! My first car was yellow - a VW Rabbit ;)

Groves said...

Love, love hearing about Kristen - and always love the pictures. Thank you. I can always feel your love for her - and hers for you.

Cathy in Missouri

Rochelle said...

Love this list and love your girl! Just reading this brought so many smiles to my face.
Love you Polly!

The VW's said...

I love all 21 facts about your sweet Kristen! Love and Hugs!!!

The VW's said...

Although, I wish she didn't have to go through some of those things...but I have a feeling every obstacle she faced made her the amazing girl that she was! Such a gift to this world!