I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Valentine Box

Kristen always loved Valentine's Day.
She always insisted she have a box for her valentines.
She would leave it on the front porch and then listen for the doorbell. She would quickly run to the door and gather her valentines. Not only did she like to receive valentines, she also loved to pass them out. She would always choose her valentines early along with a bag of treats. She would carefully sign her name and stuff the envelopes with candy. She made sure everyone had a valentine.
I posted some of these pictures 2 years ago,
but I love them and wanted a post to include them all.
In 2009 Kim and Kristen set out to make the best box ever.
It took them pretty much the entire afternoon.
Afterwards she was so excited to show everyone her box.
I was saddened to think that Valentine's day was soon approaching and there was no box with her name on it. I decided I could still make her a box. I got busy and made a  pink mailbox and adorned it with stickers and her name. This morning, on my daily visit to the cemetery, I delivered her box to her grave site.
I told my grandkids to make her a valentine and drop it off.
Some might think I'm crazy, and maybe I am.
However, this is how I get by,
sometimes it's a day at a time and sometimes it's a breathe at a time.
Kristen loved holidays and I will continue to include her in our celebrations.






5 comments:

Peter Olson said...

I wonder if they celebrate Valentine's Day in heaven?

If they do, I bet Kristen is in charge making sure everyone gets a Valentine card with candy. :-)

May God bless your heart warmly with his love overflowing. And I pray that you continue to share that love as you honor the memory of Kristen.
Amen!

Amy L said...

I LOVE the way you continue to keep Kristen alive in your heart and also the way you continue to share her with us. There's not a day that goes by that I don't say a prayer for you and also ask God to please let me see Kristen in heaven one day. I am so looking forward to that!
Happy Valentine's Day Polly!
Amy

Cindy said...

Another great way to keep Kristen close! Happy Valentines Day!

Groves said...

Sweet, sweet girls. I just love to see those smiles. You can tell how much they love being together...

Wishing Kristen were well and strong and cuddled up next to you RIGHT NOW (which I know she *is*, but you know what I mean).

Cathy in Missouri

JennyH said...

That box does look very impressive! You sound like you are such a strong woman. I love reading all the memories of sweet Kristen.