I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Monday, February 21, 2011

helping to make the world a better place.

Sarah the celebrity is at it again!
She is becoming the most popular girl in Cleveland.
This article appeared in the paper today.
The paper got it right...
She is amazing and inspiring.

I feel blessed to have Kristen included in this article.
I know this story has been told before, however it is well worth retelling.

Last year Sarah learned how to sew. Her mother, Joyce,
decided to start her off on a simple project and
Sarah chose to make a present for Kristen. Sarah seized the opportunity to send
Kristen a gift of comfort in the hospital; 2 hand made pillowcases.
Sarah's gift was just one instance of a larger community effort called
The idea is to make and donate pillowcases, tangible gifts of comfort,
encouragement or inspiration  to others in need.
I just checked the website and over 250,000 pillowcases have been made to date.

Following are pictures of Sarah choosing fabric and then sewing the pillowcases.
Followed by more pictures of Kristen receiving the gift in the hospital.

















I realize the article about Sarah isn't about the pillowcases.
It is about so much more.
Joyce and Sarah are bringing much needed awareness to the world.
They are proving that having a child with
Down syndrome makes for a
grand and glorious life.

indeed it does.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Indeed it does! I remember these pics like they were yesterday. Such an awesome story that continues to share Kristen and Sarah with the world!

My name is Sarah said...

Oh Polly, This story is so much about Kristen. It's really all about Kristen. Without her, none of this dream would be coming true for Sarah and me. I was floundering until the pillowcase project first came up, having just given up my career to care for Sarah into adulthood. Kristen's light was guiding us then too. We will never ever forget the gift of your sweet girl.