Thursday, February 24, 2011

First Bone Marrow Birthday and "Kristen's Light"

 big brown bear...courtesy of the bone marrow team
new bone marrow...courtesy of her big brother

Today is Kristen's bone marrow birthday.
One year ago today her brother, Rick, donated his
bone marrow. I remember the day like it was yesterday and yet
somehow it feels like it was forever ago.
All of my children gathered in her hospital room and watched as
the lady in the white coat came in with a cooler.
Inside the cooler was Rick's bone marrow that had been collected
earlier that morning. Her doctors and nurses gathered in her room,
they brought gifts and we all sang to her.
It took about 2 hours and the new marrow was circulating in her
blood stream. We were all hoping this would be the miracle we
had been praying for. After all, when she had relapsed in November,
we were told this was her only chance for survival.
How blessed we were that her brother had her golden ticket...
the matching bone marrow.
How blessed Kristen was as she seemed to sail through the transplant.
She earned the name
"Rockstar"
as her doctors and nurses were all amazed at how well she did.

Although things didn't turn out how we hoped they would,
we can honestly say that prayers were answered,
that miracles happened daily,
and that our sweet Kristen had minimal pain and minimal side effects.
I can also say that because of Kristen, at least one little girl who also
has Down syndrome and who also had a transplant last year,
is thriving today as lessons were learned and protocols changed.
That's my Kristen as her light continues to shine.


 "Kristen's Light"
 It wouldn't be a Birthday without gifts. now would it?
I have already shared most of the projects that I have been working on as
I have a desire to keep Kristen's light burning bright.
Most of the items that I have been working on I have donated to the
local children's hospital.
Now I would like to share with the amazing friends I have met here.
I am asking for your help in finding recipients for my gifts.
My gifts are small, but they are made with love and care and the thought of Kristen
 is ever present as I work on my projects.

My first project is an activity bag. I have donated 48 of these to the hospital so far. 
 I just love making them and buying activities to put in them.
The bags can be made gender specific and also age specific.

 My new favorite project is a book bag.
I was thinking of calling these "mama bags"
 as I plan to stock them with magazines, a journal and maybe
some slippers or socks.
I was especially thinking of a mom who spends
 many weeks in the hospital with their child.

Next are the blankets. I LOVE to make blankets! 
I can make these cute fleece ones, receiving blankets for babies, or even a tied quilt.
 


and of course there are the pillowcases!  My favorite part of making
pillowcases is shopping for the fabric. I have made many children's one as well as ones
that will be enjoyed by the residence of local care centers.
So there you have it.
If you know someone who would benefit from one of my projects,
a sick child, a tired mom, it could even be a welcome home gift for
one of our many friends from Reece's Rainbow then please e-mail me
 and I will get busy and get it sent out.
It is so amazing how a simple pillowcase
can bring such joy to a sick child
or to a tired mom.


Happy Bone Marrow Birthday Kristen!
We LOVE you!

3 comments:

Groves said...

Polly, I just love you. I haven't met you, but I love you. I can't imagine the day will come when I will get sick of saying: this world is a much better place because you are in it.

And Kristen!

And Sarah!

And Joyce!

Thanks for doing what you do. You really make a difference.

Kristen, I am missing you every day. Your Mom is missing you every single second, and even *more* than that. Wish so much that you could be in the kitchen right now, making some more of your Kristen Cookies...

Love from here,

Cathy in Missouri

Rochelle said...

Kristen's light still burns brightly for us...Jason signed up to be a bone marrow donor (my previous cancer preclude me).
You continue to be such a huge blessing to so many.

Hugs dear friend, now I know why you came to mind in the middle of the night last night to pray for you.

Sweet Pea's Mommy said...

You amaze me with all that you do! Kristen's light certainly shines on in you and in so many others!!!!