I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Kristen's Light

Kristen was a shining star in the lives of many.
The power of Kristen's sweet spirit radiated from her.
Her smile could light up a room.
Although Kristen has left us for a season,
Her light will continue to shine.
All I have to do is to walk in her room and I feel her warmth and radiance.
I feel confident that her light will continue to burn stronger and brighter.
Her story has inspired many to try harder,
 that nice does matter, to look for and enjoy the simple things in life,
and to make memories that will last forever.

I decided a while ago that I would always have a project, something that I could give,
something to make the path that I just traveled a little easier for someone else.
The children’s hospital where Kristen and I spent
so many months has become dear to me.
The love and care that Kristen has received from both the bone marrow transplant team, the oncology team and the ICS unit was amazing. Everyone was diligent in caring for her and trying to find a cure that would work for her. Great love and care was shown toward her by both the doctors and nurses and
I will forever be grateful.

Last year, just a week before Christmas, we met at a local Build a Bear
 and made 27 bears.
We donated the bears to the ICS unit
(this is where the cancer kids and transplant kids stay).
We are looking forward to doing this again this year.

When Kristen and I would spend time in the hospital, it seemed we were always looking for things to keep us busy. It seems I was always trying to track down a pair of scissors, a box of crayons and other items. A few months ago I decided to make activity bags that contained these kinds of items.
I also wanted to include some kind of a light as
Kristen always loved lights.

Last week I received a package from Joyce. Most of us know that she is Sarah’s mom and that she recently opened a quilt shop in Ohio. She included several stacks of awesome fabric to help with my project along with a note that said,
“We read about your project and thought you might be able to use a little of our stash from the store. Kristen’s light is shining bright!”
How awesome is that? Joyce and Sarah are the BEST!
At this very moment there is something in the works that
will spotlight Sarah and Kristen. (More on that later)

Last week I also received a gift from a very kind neighbor…a new sewing machine! A really nice new sewing machine. Thank you Gloria!

Thanks to Joyce and Gloria…
16 Bags are FINISHED!

I will stuff these with various items and deliver them on Friday.
Kristen’s light is shining.


8 comments:

Kristin said...

Those look wonderful!! I'm sure many a smiles will be created on Friday :)

Zoey's mom said...

I knew that this was your project and I just love them!

Your Kristen and your family and you Polly are all gifts and we feel so blessed to be recipients of all of your light.

Monday we will be making our 5th blanket delivery.Blankets,not all that much,but it feels as though I am doing something,anything to ease this road for these kids.

Just notice your button at the right .. :( We so wish you weren't missing her.


Can I send my bear anytime?You are doing it again this year,aren't you?

heather said...

LOVE the bags!!! Such cute fabric and goodies inside. I love that you are continuing to share Kristen's light with everyone. I know she is smiling watching all of your good works. :)

Rochelle said...

Such a great idea. You are a blessing to so many!

eliz said...

How fun!!!!! :o) And so pretty!

In memory of my daughter Molly I am making lapghans for the other residents in the group home she lived in.
(((HUG)))
Elizabeth in MN

Jeana said...

What an awesome project! The children we love those so much. Those bags are so cute!

The VW's said...

This truly warms my heart! Great job! You, Kristen, Sarah, Joyce, and Gloria are going to put some big smiles on some really deserving children! Love and Hugs!!!

my family said...

you stopped by my blog the other day and I just wanted to tell you thank you for leaving a comment. Great project,love the bags