I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

the geese

As each goose flaps its wings it creates an "uplift" for the birds that follows. By flying in a V formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.
People who share a common direction and sense a community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.

When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front of it.
If we have as much sense as a goose we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others.

When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation and
another goose flies to the point position.
It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each others skills, capabilities and unique arrangements of gifts, talents or resources.

The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement is the quality of honking we seek.

When a goose gets sick, wounded or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then they launch out with another formation or catch up with the flock.
If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in
difficult times as well as when we are strong.

"Lessons from the Geese" was in a packet I received at one of the first
Down syndrome support meetings I attended.
That was many years ago. I have kept this close by and
have read it on several different occasions.
It is a good lesson and applies to many situations.
I have been reading about a local support group  for parents that have lost a child.
Their greeting states,
"Sorry you're here, glad you came."
Members of this club will tell you it is a club with the highest dues in the world.
I couldn't agree more.
I see where lessons from the geese helped me when Kristen was born,
when she was battling cancer,
and now I am trying to apply those lessons again.
I am not sure I can bring myself to go to the meeting of the club I now belong to.
But I need to.
I thought I could do this by myself, it's been 10 weeks
and I am not so sure anymore.

And now to sweeten things up a few more pictures of our angel ...



6 comments:

ABandCsMom said...

I love "The Geese". I've never heard this before. Wow!

Polly, it's been over 5 months and I KNOW I can't get through this alone. Paul and I are seeing a counselor. One on one, not together.

Last night we attended a very large grief conference which was lead by Dr. Alan D. Wolfelt. Dr. Wolfelt is a psychologist and grief counselor. He is also an author of many books on grieving.

Seek all the help you possibly can. Trust me, it does get harder each passing day/month.

Monica said...

One more thing about Geese. Did you know that when they fly south...they carry the little hummingbirds along with them? The journey is just too long and hard for the little hummingbirds....so they ride on the geese backs until they find better weather. Makes me think of friendship. Our friends carry through the cold, and dark times.

Groves said...

I never get tired of your posts - and I never get tired of seeing more pictures of Kristen. I hope you will keep on doing both just as long as you want to!!

Thankful for you every day,

Cathy in Missouri

Tina said...

What a beautiful baby Kristin was. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.Thanks for the pictures.

Rochelle said...

I love this post. Thanks for sharing. Love the pictures of Kristen.

Peter Olson said...

I have had the pleasure of seeing and hearing those V formations flying just overhead many times. The sound of the air whooshing past those feathers is quite impressive.

"The 26th Annual Fennville Goose Festival will take place" this weekend. http://www.fennville.com/

I'll be thinking and praying for you, and all of our fellow geese, every time I see that V fly overhead.

May God give you the lift you need today as you soar through the sky like an eagle.

"but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)

AMEN!