I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Down syndrome awareness month and a little bit of chocolate

October is Down syndrome awareness month. I did join in on the fun with the
31 for 21 challenge.
That means I will blog each day of the month raising awareness for Down syndrome.
As you can see I'm already slacking. But I am going to try.
My neice, Heidi, stopped by last night for a visit. She came bearing a gift.
You guessed it.
Chocolate
 Not just any chocolate, but See's chocolates, a whole pound.
These chocolates got me thinking.
In the movie Forrest Gump he quotes his mother as saying,
"Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get."
Back in the day when I was having children, you know the eighties,
we didn't know.
Didn't know if we were having a girl or a boy.  
There was no such thing as that 20 week ultra sound.
I don't even remember having the blood test at 4 months to
determine the levels of the proteins
( Alpha - feto protein also known as AFP)
When I was having children we didn't choose when they would be born. Imagine that...
going into labor on your own.
When my babies were born, just like the chocolates,
we didn't know what we were getting.
maybe it would smooth
or it might be bumpy
maybe our sweetest desires would be met
and maybe not.
It didn't really matter.
It was what it was.
My dad always said that once you
choose a chocolate from the box and once you take a bite, it's yours.
 There is no putting that chocolate back in the box.
These days things are different.
It seems like you can take a knife and peek inside,
if it's something you like you can keep it
If not you can put it back, or if you've actually taken a bite, you can just throw it away.
What a waste!
There is someone who would have loved that chocolate.

24 years ago my little girl made her entrance into this world.
If she were a chocolate I suppose some would have called her a "second"
not being perfect and having a few flaws.
When I took my first bite, it wasn't what I thought it would be.
It tasted different than I thought it would.
But once I gave it some time and slowly chewed it and gave it time to digest,
it turned out to be the most sweet satisfying chocolate I have ever tasted.

Enjoy your chocolates,
as a box of chocolates doesn't usually last too long.











10 comments:

stephanie said...

Polly, this was perfect. i always use the term "sweets" when i refer to our kids. Now I'll always think of this post.

ABandCsMom said...

Perfectly put Polly!

Tricia said...

Well said! I am praying for you.

The VW's said...

WOW! This is such a great analogy! You are good!

At our house we always rate chocolate. According to my boys, Hersheys is great, but Dove chocolate is THE BEST! When they first tried it they weren't sure if they'd like it as much as the Hersheys, but now they would pick Dove first.

I would rate having a child with Down syndrome just as my boys would a Dove chocolate! The BEST!

Unfortunately, sometimes it doesn't last long enough.....Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

To Love Endlessly said...

Wonderful post Polly!

Nicki Swilor said...

Perfect! We love you guys. This was my favorite post. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Thanks for posting.

Jeana said...

Simply beautiful.

Groves said...

"If it's something you like you can keep it;
If not you can put it back, or if you've actually taken a bite, you can just throw it away.
What a waste!
There is someone who would have loved that chocolate."

I love you, Polly. That is a little strange, because I don't "know" you - but I "read" you. Every time I read you, I love you more.

I wish that the whole world could read this post. I wish people who don't want the "trouble" of having a child who isn't "perfect" would let someone else have the joy of raising that baby!

Kristen, you one-of-a-kind sweetheart, your Mom is still making this world sweeter and better and you continue to inspire. Your sweetness lives on.

You are something else, Polly. What a perfect post to honor these extra special children.

With love,

Cathy in Missouri

Rochelle said...

Awesome post Polly!

Cindy said...

Polly, this was a great post! You said it perfectly.