I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Wedding Fun

I so need a break from this whole flood thing. I thought it was a perfect time to share some wedding pictures. For those who don't know the story, a quick recap... Last Christmas Kamie and Kim both became engaged. They both were thinking about getting married in August. Kristen had just relapsed in November and we were facing a bone marrow transplant if we could get her into remission. In January, Kristen amazingly went into remission after the first round of chemo. The bone marrow transplant would take place sometime in February. I told both the girls that I didn't want to do any wedding stuff until after the transplant. I jokingly told the girls that if they were both going to get married in August that it would have to be a double wedding as I couldn't care for Kristen and pull off 2 weddings in the same month. The more we talked about it the more it sounded like a great idea. A double wedding it would be..August 18th. Then on June 4th we received the shocking news that Kristen had again relapsed. Only this time things would be different. There was nothing the doctors could do, no more chemo, not much hope, they gave her 4 to 6 months to live. Our world stopped. After a week of tears, heartbreak and disbelief my husband suggested to both Kamie and Kim that August would not be a good time for a wedding. Kristen would be too sick. He gave them the option of either moving their weddings back a few months or moving them up in hopes that Kristen would still be well enough to attend. Both girls knew immediately that they wanted to share their special day with Kristen. The weddings were moved up to July 7th. We had just 3 weeks to prepare. Somehow we pulled it off. It was a beautiful day and Yes, Kristen was able to attend. Just 13 days later she passed away. I had 2 weddings and 1 funeral in the same month. I don't recommend it, however we are thrilled and feel so blessed that everything worked out the way it did as far as the weddings. It was a bitter sweet day. I am so very proud of Kamie and Kim for not only sharing their special day with each other but
also sharing it with Kristen.


Kamie and James were married at 10:30 in the morning in her grandparent's backyard





Kim and Dave were married in the early afternoon in the Draper Temple


Later that evening a double reception was held




My 2 sons, Rick and Ryan




Yes, I ended up making both of the weddings cakes. Don't be surprised if they show up on "Cake Wrecks"
And Yes, those are bobble heads on Kim's cake. They look just like her and Dave.

14 comments:

Kristi said...

What a beautiful BEAUTIFUL day!! Thank you for sharing this with us! I am blessed knowing you and your family!
Kristi

stefanie said...

what beautiful memories!!!!

Amy L said...

Your daughters are all beautiful! What a day to remember! Kristen looked so sweet, she just tugs at my heart every time I see her picture. Thank you for sharing Polly, you are blessed!
Love,
Amy

Suzanne Chatterton said...

Thank you for posting wedding photos. What wonderful memories. Such a range of emotions all in one month. Your family is such an inspiration. You are in my prayers.

stephanie said...

Polly, thank you for sharing these precious moments with us! the photo of you and Kristen got to me. actually it was your hands, holding hers . i don't know it just got to me.

i posted a post a few days ago about our encounter with some playful butterflies. I was hoping you saw it. If you didn't come by and see. You have to go back a few posts.

Rochelle said...

Amazingly beautiful day. So thankful that Kristen was able to enjoy her sister's special day.
I agree with Stephanie the pic of you and Kristen brought tears to my eyes.
Polly, you are a delight in light of all you were going through to be able to pull off 2 beautiful weddings in 3 weeks. WOW!
We keep praying for you and hope the basement is clearing out nicely.

Suzie and Lily said...

How fun to see all these pictures! Looked like a beautiful day!!

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

beautiful! BEAUTIFUL! no other word comes to mind - thank you for sharing the story about their weddings and the pictures... those cakes are QUITE impressive, too. so happy kristen was able to be there with you all for the double-wedding!!!

Jeana said...

What a wonderful day. I love that picture of you and Kristen holding hands, so absolutely precious.

heather said...

I love the double wedding idea. Both weddings and the double reception looked amazing! Beautiful pictures! I love that Kristen was able to be a part of her sisters' special day. That is a memory the will cherish forever!
P.S. Good luck with the flooding mess! I now know from personal experience that it is any thing but fun!

Lacey said...

What beautiful weddings. I love the bright, colorful, summer colors. It turned out great. And I'm so thankful that Kristen was well enough to enjoy it!

The VW's said...

The love that your family has for one another shows through loud and clear! Thanks for sharing this blessed event with all of us! You have a BEAUTIFUL family!

And, I've declared you as Mother of the Year!!! Hugs!!!

Michelle said...

Everything is beautiful...just perfect! Loved the colors, the cakes, the smiles, all of it!

JennyH said...

those are beautiful!! I think the cakes look great. Everything looks great. glad Kristen was there to share their special day.