I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

It's just things. Right?

The flood is turning out to be rather devastating. My daughter and her husband are living in the basement apartment or I should say were living there. They have only been married for a few weeks and everything they own got wet. When I say wet, I mean soaked. 5 feet of water came crashing into the basement ripping doors off hinges, breaking out windows, turning dressers upside down, even the fridge was floating. Kamie had just loaded her cupboards with new wedding gifts. They were all found floating. Her sewing machine, toaster, blender, mixer were all covered in mud. Her wedding dress was even soaked and covered in mud. All of her and her husbands clothes and shoes were soaked. Their mattress, their blankets, computer, television, play station and the list goes on and on.
Then there is my stuff. Oh and I have stuff. 30 years worth of stuff. I have a concrete storage room under the front porch. That door was also ripped off. Everything that was on the bottom 3 shelves is pretty much a loss. Crafts, files and files of office papers, files of the kids school work, toys, books, food storage, Halloween costumes, Easter decorations, Christmas decorations are all in the dumpster out back. I finally shed a few tears as I walked a box of my favorite Christmas ornaments over to the dumpster. Kristen's notebooks, her school papers, some of her toys and stuffed animals are now also in the dumpster.
As for the house, we had just put new tile and carpet in the basement. The walls were freshly painted. Now the sheetrock has been cut 5 feet up around all the rooms,the insulation tore out and the carpet ripped out. We are still working to clean mud off walls, out of the bath tub, and off of the shelves. We have been blessed with great families and friends as many helped for hours. People were loading their cars with garbage bags full of soaked clothes and blankets.
They were all returned fresh clean and dry. Thank You to everyone who stopped and helped.

In the midst of this madness I received an e-mail from Kamie's photographer with a link to her wedding pictures. I have been waiting as I knew there would be some pictures of Kristen. I was right. I'll share many pictures later but wanted to share 2 of my favorites.
Over the past few weeks I have suffered quite a loss. My heart continues to hurt. I find myself at times putting on a mask of contentment just to make it through the day.
I'm not even going to ask when the madness might stop.
Looking at these pictures makes you smile and cry at the same time.

17 comments:

Amy L said...

Praying so hard for your family! I can't believe that this has happened. You are so blessed to have so many family and friends helping but I'm sure it must still hurt especially when you have to throw some of Kristen's things away. You are right, the pictures of Kristen made me smile and cry. She's just so precious! I'll continue to pray for you and your family.
Love,
Amy and sons

Cindy said...

You have been through so much. Please know that you are being lifted before the Throne of God. He has not forgotten you.

katie said...

oh gosh, I'm so sorry you guys have to go through this so soon after Kristen's passing. I love those pictures of Kristen and her sister. So sweet :)

王雅俊 said...

Learning makes life sweet.......................................................................

Rochelle said...

I am so sorry about all the flood damage. It is just stuff but it is your stuff and therefore it all has meaning.
The wedding pictures are wonderful can't wait to see more.

Thankful for friends that are coming to help you all out.
Continuing to pray for you all.

Brandi said...

I have said When it rains it pours...I really really hope things start getting better. THINKING OF YOU ALL THE TIME LOTS OF LOVE --Jensen's Family

Lacey said...

When it rains it pours, literally! What can I do to help? My boys start school on Thursday, and then I can come over and help with whatever you need! Clean up, whatever, let me know!
Those pictures are so beautiful!

The VW's said...

Breathtaking pictures of your beautiful girls!

I have been thinking of you and your family lots this weekend and praying too! It just doesn't seem fair that you are having to face this trial.....especially now! I'm so sorry that you have had to suffer so much loss.....I pray that God shows you comfort and peace and grace, as you go through this trying and emotional time! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

Zoey's mom said...

I wish I had the power to make this all go away.i wish I could wave a magic wand,click my heels or do something to ease the heaviness of your heart.For now and for always,prayers.Unending prayers.

Both pictures are beautiful but the first,the first made me cry.I miss you girl too.

Arizona mom to eight said...

You are all in my prayers. I love the first picture, it is beautiful, both are very special and brought tears to my eyes.

Will insurance cover the loss of your daughters wedding gifts? I would be so sad to lose all those special papers and momentos of my life.

Joyce said...

Oh Polly, I don't even know what to say. I am in shock for you and your precious family. The photos are breathtaking. So much emotion in a few pictures.

I had a few women in our store on Saturday from West Jordan, UT. They have two daughters living in Cleveland. I told them all about you and your beautiful family and your incredible strength. They may call you.

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

i am seriously crying as i read this - i am so so sorry for not only your devastating loss of kristen but now your devastation from the flood in your basement. so sorry for your daughter and her new husband too. saying prayers to help you through this RIDICULOUSLY difficult time!!!

Brighton said...

Enough. Really, you have been through enough. I'm sending Texas sized hugs your way.

Suzie and Lily said...

The pictures are beautiful and pricless.
I do believe you have had your share and more so hopefully things will get better.
One day at a time...

Monica said...

I came by earlier and I was at a loss for words. What I want to say is...I am so sorry for all that you are going through. Your family has had much joy and much hurt lately. I can't even imagine how overwhelming it must be.

I’m here. I care. I will listen anytime. I am glad I found you.

The pictures are absolutely gorgeous...Priceless! I wish I could have had the chance to meet Kristen.

Kristi said...

Those pictures are just breathtaking. And your right, they make you cry and smile, which is exactly what I did.
I am so sorry you are all going through this! I am praying for you all!
xoxo
Kristi

JennyH said...

Love the pictures!!

That is so sad about all the lost stuff. glad you were able to at least get some of the stuff cleaned and returned.