I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Monday, June 21, 2010

Life comes at you...ready or not

This little muffin loves to play this little game with me every night. I tell her it's time to lay down and go to sleep, she lays on her side and firmly plants her elbow in her pillow and says, "I can't!" She then waits for me to tickle her and finally she agrees to put her arm down and lay down. We play this game EVERY night.
 Our bedtime ritual is getting longer every night.
The results of Kristen’s bi-weekly blood tests came back early this afternoon. I was expecting her to need blood or platelets but it looks like she can slide for a few more days. I was happy to hear that the percentage of leukemia cells in her blood had decreased. That means that the chemo pills are helping to slow things down. Our insurance will not pay for the home health to draw Kristen’s blood so we usually have to drag her out to the doctors just for labs. After twisting a few arms they have finally agreed to let me draw her blood and drop it off at the lab. Kristen was happy
when I told her we could stay home today.

I have wondered a few times this past week if I might be crazy to think we can pull this wedding off in just a little over 2 weeks. Not to mention 2 weddings. Today I decided that crazy I am. I don't even sew and I spent several hours today sewing 24 yards of tulle on Kim's bridal slip. And the stamps pictured below, I had to make a special trip to the post office just because I couldn't put the forever stamp on the invitations, I wanted something cute. These purple pansy stamps are just what I needed. We are all working hard trying to get organized and pull things together. As far as the wedding plans I think things are coming together. I do have one issue. I'm a cake decorator. That's what I do. I make wedding cakes. Well, I kinda think I might be lucky to pull off the wedding and then throw in 2 wedding cakes and I just don't know. I could never pay someone to make a cake when I can do it myself. What to do.

Just when you think you might have things under control something else is thrown at you and you have to stop and think Ok enough already. Katy, my oldest daughter who is already married with 3 children , is having her fourth child at the end of July. Kristen is excited to attend the birth. Katy called me last night to ask if I thought it was possible that she was having contractions. I had to laugh and and say are you kidding, with all that is going on in our lives you probably are having contractions. She had an appointment this morning and she lost 3 pounds and her stomach is still measuring what it was 2 weeks ago. The doctor wanted to do an ultrasound to make sure things were still ok. It looks like the baby weighs about 5 pounds and it all looks good. About an hour ago Katy was here and said, Something is up with this baby, I keep having these pains.  She then proceeded to tell me that she has nothing ready for the new baby. Not even a new blanket. She has the material for 2 quilts but hasn't had the time or energy to get them finished. So tomorrow in the mist of florist appointments, tulle, and stuffing envelopes I guess we will also be tying a quilt for the new baby just in case she decides to arrive early. And as for Kristen, she will be in the family room dancing around and singing because that is what she does every morning.
We'll all look at each other and smile.

One more thought, maybe I should stop worrying about these cute purple pansy love stamps and start baking some cakes.

19 comments:

Heather said...

Wish I were closer,to lend a hand.To watch the beautiful crazy unfold but mostly to watch your amazing girl dance and sing around the family room.What I wouldn't give to see that.


Love to you all Polly.

Denise said...

Polly...you amaze me daily!! I enjoyed hearing your humor in today's post. I know all you can do right now is to embrace life and I am glad that you are doing that. I have no doubt that you will pull everything off without a hitch...and if there is a hitch...so what!! And if that baby comes a little early...just one more person to help celebrate the beautiful marriages!! LOVE the cute purple pansy stamps!!

The VW's said...

You are one amazing Momma! I have a feeling that you CAN do it all! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

Tina said...

You are amazing I am sure you can pull all these different things off with ease. I am sure everthing will come through wonderfully, and like Denise said even if somethings aren't exactly as planned what does it matter. How exciting to be having a baby amoungst you soon. I hope all goes well.

The stamps are very beautiful and I am sure the cakes will be exquisite!

Jana said...

Aunt Polly,
Please let me know if there is ANYTHING i can do to help. I've asked Kim but she said no. Really I would love to help. Even if it is putting stamps on announcements.

Leah said...

Well, I don't know about you, but if I have all the time in the world, I get nothing done, but if I function at my finest under stress! LOL I bet you pull ALL of this off, only because it's all stuff you WANT to do. You're a pretty determined woman, I think. All while Kristen twirls circles around the living room. Priceless. It's better than Angela army crawling with Dog the Bounty Hunter! I think that baby is going to be delivered. If she has lost that much weight, and she's measuring lower, the placenta is likely shutting down for some reason. I think the baby doesn't want to miss the weddings any more than Kristen does.

Lacey said...

those stamps are too cute, perfect for a wedding. I'm glad Kristen is doing good, and I hope you can keep your energy up and get these weddings done! Whew, I'm tired just thinking about it.

Becca said...

The stamps are definitely perfect. Holy cow, you are Wonder Woman! I'm truly inspired by everything you're balancing in your life.

Christi Harrison said...

wow, you have a lot going on! i felt overwhelmed just reading about it. good luck. i hope you get to make the cakes.

Candice said...

POLLY! if you need any help at all I would love to help! 833-9755 you should call me. After wednesday I have like a week off and have lot's of time on my hands. So don't be afraid to ask me for some help!

Amy L said...

Wow! You are one busy lady! Kristen's bedtime routine sounds so sweet, makes me smile just thinking about it! Praying for you as you prepare for your daughters weddings and upcoming grandchild!:)
Amy

Kristi said...

You know what? Said with tears of joy! Everything is coming together perfectly! Again, your family just amazes me. Kristen is SO blessed to have such a wonderful family. You are all so blessed to have each other. And the stamps are PERFECT!
If you were in upstate NY, I'd be at your house right now helping you! And BUY THE CAKES, if you are stressed!! We aren't wonderwoman, (even thoughw e think we are! ) :)
Kristi

Brandi said...

We (Sugarmama's Cakery) in Draper (just out of my Mom's house) would love to help you with cakes! email me brandijj@hotmail.com if you would like some help!

Angi said...

You are just awesome...you will do it all AND MORE, and the beautiful Kristen singing and dancing...that just makes my heart happy;-)

To Love Endlessly said...

you are one amazing mama! All your girls are equally blessed. You'll be able to get done what needs to be done and the rest of it can wait.

冠慧 said...

生活很多細節都要小心點,請多保重 .................................................................

Rubypat said...

I have just discovered your site, and read some of the story of Kristen's amazing life. My prayers are with you. I smiled when her wish was just to 'stay home'. I have a 7 year old in palliative care, who has exactly the same answer to where should we go. As long as she has some balloons, someone to blow bubbles for her, and her dvd's to watch, she wants nothing more. I find that I am the one who wants to do 'special' things with and for her; but I have to realise that what she really wants is just for me to spend time with her. God bless your family.

Nef Family said...

We are thinking of you. Sounds like being busy crazy is a good way to keep your mind busy right now. Your picture and ritual are darling!

Mom said...

I am praying for your beautiful daughter and family. Here's something I came across and would like to share with you. "What Cancer Cannot Do...It cannot invade the soul, suppress memories, kill friendship, destroy peace, conquer the spirit, shatter hope, cripple love, corrode faith, steal eternal life, silence courage." God bless and keep you.
Sharon Tripp