I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hoping for yet "Another Miracle"

It has been a very long 4 days. Many tears shed.  I was able to talk with Kristen’s nurse practitioner, Brenda, yesterday. It was confirmed that there are 11% leukemia blasts in her peripheral blood. Her chimerism test from the previous week, also on her peripheral blood, came in at 96% donor. Brenda said she was a bit surprised at the relapse given the high percent of donor on the chimerism test.

Kristen will have a bone marrow biopsy in the morning. We are still hoping she will develop Graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) and this might help fight off the leukemia cells. Brenda said that we would have to wait for the results of the bone marrow biopsy before we could come up with any type of a plan. Hopefully the disease hasn’t progressed too rapidly and we can give her a little time to see if GVHD will kick in. Otherwise, it appears that we are back to square one.

Last November when Kristen relapsed we were told that her only chance for survival was a bone marrow transplant .Here we are back to that same place we were when we started 21 months ago. I really don’t know where we stand. But I know it is not good. Not good at all. I realize that a second relapse after a bone marrow transplant is not a good place to be. I know our options are getting fewer.
I have to remind myself several times a day that this is Kristen we are talking about.
Our Miracle Girl, Our Rockstar, Our Warrior Girl, Our Angel
She has always done things her way. I am sure this new challenge that has been placed in front of her will be met with the same
courage, determination and resilience she has always shown.
And today we are once again
“Hoping for Another Miracle”
We celebrated Kim's Birthday yesterday. Kim is the most independant of all of my 6 children. She always sets goals, makes lists and accomplishes everything on her list. She dearly loves Kristen.
We all love Kim!
Yesterday Kristen wanted to go to the store. This is rare as she usually only wants to stay home. She said she needed paper and a movie. I took her to Kmart as our local Kmart is never busy and I knew I wouldn't run into many germ carrying people. Kristen walked around the store and looked at everything. She loaded up the cart with whatever she wanted. Her favorite aisle is always the school supply aisle. Today, she got her purse and headed to the door. I asked her where she thought she was going and she again replied, "The Store, I need a movie." So off we went again.
I'm pretty sure someone forgot to tell Kristen that she is sick.
Please say a little prayer for our girl


18 comments:

Amy L said...

I am praying for a miracle for your beautiful Kristen! I have never had the pleasure of meeting her but she has touched my heart so! Praying for your family too, I can't imagine how heartbreaking this is for you! Please know that we are thinking of your family and praying for another miracle for your precious Rock Star! Sending our love,
The Lucas family
Amy and sons

Christi Harrison said...

heartbreaking. i am praying. God bless you!!!

stephanie said...

I HATE this!!!!! Stupid Cancer!

Saying much more than a little prayer!

And sending all our love!

Heather said...

"When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
~Author Unknown

"Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark." ~George Iles

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul. And sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all."~Emily Dickinson

You know I'm a quote junky Polly.Here are a few of my favorites.Wish I were able to do more to help your worried heart.

For now,we stay faithfully committed in praying and hoping for yet"another miracle."

Much love to you and most especially your warrior girl.

Rachel said...

I will be praying for Kristen. I have a package for her too that I have been meaning to send her. I will get that out in the next week or so. Is your address still the one listed on the sidebar of your blog?

mandd3 said...

Polly,
I rarely comment but am always praying for Kristen and you. Today, I am especially praying that your eyes remain opened to the miracle already before you, and if by chance, the next miracle God sends your way is not the one you asked for, that the peace that shines from Kristen's eyes wrap you up and carry you to shore. God Bless

Denise said...

Of course, for obvious reasons, watching the path you have been on with Kristen is very scary to me. But it has also been so inspiring. The love you have for your daughter is nothing short of amazing. I can imagine that today was a tough day for you but I also have no doubt that hope will find its way back in to your heart soon. I know we have no idea what God's plan is right now for Kristen but like Dorothy mentions above, we can't help but be amazed with the miracles that he has already performed with Kristen.

The VW's said...

Praying for another miracle for your amazing girl! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

treasuresandsnares said...

I am so sorry for this to be happening. I have been reading since before this last adventure you have been on. I will be praying for her healing and for your family's peace.

Sending hugs and love
Kim and Miss T

p.s. do you have a button that I can put on my blog...or even if I may mention you all needing prayers?

Kristi said...

I am praying for Kristen and you all! I have posted your blog to my blog (I hope that is ok) to start an even bigger prayer chain!
Please know we are here for you!
Kristi

Sasha said...

I love that Kristen is shopping an loving it. I really don't have a lot of words except that I am hear thinking of you. Hugs.

eliz said...

We are not giving up! We have hope for Kristen! We love you Sweetie!!
Hang in there momma! You are amazing!
(((HUGS)))
Elizabeth in MN and family

Stephanie said...

Praying for another miracle here. I also posted a prayer request to all of our family & friends both @ church and on FB.

Sending all our love, hugs, & prayers! Keep on fighting Kristen!!!!

Steph & Christopher

ABandCsMom said...

Thinking of your entire family.

Kristin said...

Praying and thinking of you everyday.

Angi said...

Love to your girl, there has to be a reason. Maybe with just enough prayers things will turn around, maybe this too she is doing in her own time. Love that she wanted to go out to the store!!!

Dawn said...

Keeping Kristen, you, & the rest of your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Peter Olson said...

Kristen is a miracle. ;-)

Women ~ even when they are sick, they still want to go shopping!
I'll never understand that. LOL

Big hugs all around.

I have faith that Kristen is in God's hands.

Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
Matthew 21:21-22 (NIV)

Jesus, please blast those blasts!
AMEN!