I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Every day matters


This past week I have been forced to face the brutal reality of what lies before me. I have not let a moment pass without thinking about the fragility of life. We are doing everything we can to make every moment count. My husband asked Kristen if she wanted to go anywhere. He mentioned Disneyland, to the ocean, camping on a lake, or even just to Salt Lake to stay in a hotel. Her reply was rather simple,
"I want to stay HOME!"
Home is where we'll stay.
Others have asked what they can do or buy for Kristen. Kristen has everything she has ever wanted. She doesn't need a thing because Her wishes and needs are simple, a ream of paper, a pack of new markers, a pair of scissors, and a box of Better Cheddars at her side. She also likes plenty of cold caffeine free coke, apple juice, orange juice and small cartons of milk in the fridge. She likes her drawers full of clean neatly stacked clothes. Each morning she carefully chooses her outfit for the day. She chooses her socks first and the chooses an outfit to match her socks. If her hamper is looking full she doesn't waste any time telling me that it is time to do her laundry. She does enjoy looking at the cards and letters that so many have sent her. There are many lessons to be learned from this Princess of mine.
Simple is Good.
She is everything good in the world. She is lovely, she is gentle and she is meek. 

As for me, I find myself having to step outside for a minute and wait for the tears to pass. I just seem to get my feet on the ground and the the flood of emotions take over once again. I am thankful for family and friends who continue to support and carry me. 
Each night as I go to bed I offer up prayers of gratitude for another lovely day with my girl. I awake in the morning with an eye doing good and enjoy the profound and never ending blessings of a new day. 
What we do today matters.  

These pictures were taken at midnight. As you can see Kristen loves her sisters
and they love her.
I love that she is laughing her guts out.

23 comments:

Emma said...

Yes, life means so much. And only when it comes to this do we realise it, we just take it for granted a lot.

I love the pictures, they capture every moment of Kristen forever. memories of the good times are always there.

Emma x

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

And we,we love you.More than you could ever possibly know.

When Zoey and Kristen were going through treatment,side by side,I looked to your posts and her strength,on days that seemed beyond daunting.Her resiliency and courage and your steadfast love of your child,forced me to put one foot in front of the other and face what waited for us with each new breaking day.

Today,that same courage and love continues to be a beacon to all of us.

Polly,each day I send to all of you, my prayers of strength.Strength for each and every moment that lies before you.

The pictures tell a story.I thank you for allowing us to be part of your daughters most amazing story and lessons on living.

Love from California.

Amy L said...

I love to see Kristen's smile! What a precious gift she is! You are in my prayers and my children are praying for Kristen too. God Bless your family and especially Kristen!
Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. Your family is beautiful!
Love,
the Lucas family

Lacey said...

We want to come over and deliver a package of goodies to Kristen and finally meet her in person. Let me know when a good time is. laceyrugg@hotmail.com

kara said...

Polly, I think of you and Kristen all the time. Thank you so much for sharing your life and story with all of us. My prayers are with you! -- Kara

stefanie said...

she is wiser than most...simple is the best!!!

The VW's said...

Kristen continues to teach us all so very much! She is a fighter. She is loving and sweet. She finds pleasure in the simple things. And, she laughs and loves. What more is there to learn? God has a great purpose in Kristen! She has already proven this to us!

May you find peace, strength, happiness and comfort today and always! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

Tricia said...

I have not been able to read the blog for several weeks, so I did not know the details of what has been going on. That hasn't kept me from praying. I am sorry you are facing all of this now. May God hold you close to His heart. I will continue to pray for a miracle. Blessings.

Angi said...

Thank you, thank you to Kristen, for reminding me just what every day means. Love to you all, she is your shining star, here and now and forever.

stephanie said...

I love you guys...

My name is Sarah said...

Love the laughter and the smiles. The sweet sight of sisters bonding.

Tina said...

Kristin is beautiful inside and out, and we have so much to learn from her.

Simple is good, simple is pure.

Saying prayers of strength to guide and hold you through everything that lies ahead.

JennyH said...

You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Kristen is one smart girl!! Love the pictures. she is beautiful and lights up the room.

Brighton said...

I have always told people that Sara is my "compass" in life. Always pointing to what is really important in this world. Kristen is your compass- beautiful, bright and pointing to what really matters in life.

*hugs*

SSBenjamins said...

You can for sure tell the LOVE Kristen brings into your home, what a wonderful home and Family she has- Where can we send the items? Does the po box allow boxes to be shipped? I want to send her stuff but I also want to make sure she can have it sent.
My heart is full for you, I know in so many ways what it is your Family is phasing and your children as well, it's so hard- it is so tough- but what a gift each day has been with Kristen, as my life was each day with Trent- she for sure has given her all and what a darn cute girl she is. My prayers are with you as well as my thoughts- hugs to you and hugs to Kristen

姵潔 said...

變天了~~注意身體,別感冒囉! .................................................................

Kristen's mom said...

Shalise, You are so kind to offer to bring Kristen some of her favorite things. She really does not need a thing, as she has an abundance of those things she loves. Aside from me being a little slow at keeping her drawers full of clean clothes. Thank You.

Becca said...

Such an amazing, beautiful and wise girl. People can learn an awful lot from her. {{HUGS}}

Kandi Ann said...

I know Kristen has everything she needs, though you did say yourself that she loves to get mail. Maybe getting stuff to her each day (needed or not makes me smile) would give her an extra something to look forward to? Just a thought. Thinking of you all so often and Praying. xoxo, Kandi Ann

eliz said...

We are sending all our love and prayers. (((HUGS))) Elizabeth in MN

Kristi said...

Kristen (and you all) have touched my life profoundly. My mother even called me to say that she read Kristen's story and she's praying for you all.
You are a wonderful mother to have raised such beautiful and smart children. You can feel the warmth and love in every picture.
xoxo
Kristi

Kim said...

Those pictures are priceless~ Kristen is such a joy and inspiration.

Prayers being sent from NC~