I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight.


Some days are just more difficult than others. I am not one to go spilling my emotions on the floor. But some days things just get to you. We spent the first half of our day in the bone marrow clinic. Kristen had her weekly blood check and her bi-monthly lumbar puncture. She really does not like being put under with the anesthesia. Once she awakes it takes a while for her to get her footing back. By the time we get home her back is getting sore. I just ran tylenol up to her as she is already back in bed. She headed straight up to her room as soon as we got home. Next up...the sickness associated with the chemo that was put in her spine today. It could be a long weekend, and the best part...my family is planning a little trip... without us.  Don't get me wrong here, I am not complaining because we are home. Kristen and I love being home. I am so happy to be home that if I could do a decent cartwheel I would just run outside right now and do several across the lawn.
I had a meeting at my sons school this morning. We were going over a few things and setting goals. The vice principal came in and the teacher introduced me to her. She continued to tell her the story about my daughter fighting leukemia for the past year and a half, that my son has missed his fair share of school because of his sisters illness. She then continued and said that he has not been feeling well lately that he has had some stomach issues and that she was sure that they were related to the issues going on in our family and that my son has been taking his sisters illness very hard and it is affecting his school work. I sat there in a daze and suddenly I was taken back to a movie I had recently seen. "My Sister's Keeper" The mother is the movie was so involved in saving her daughters  life and fighting her cancer that she failed to even notice that her older son had a learning disability as well as some other issues. I thought to myself, Have I become so involved in caring for and saving Kristen that I have slipped with my other children? For the better part of the day I have thought about that. I finally came to the conclusion that I really needed to stop looking for the storms. If I look hard enough I will definitely find some. My son is fine. He actually gained some independence and responsibility that any 16 year old could use.
  Now I better run as I have a cartwheel to perfect quick... before the sun goes down.

8 comments:

Tricia said...

Praying for you and yours.

Meghann said...

I'm glad you're home, and hope things go smoothly while you're family is away. Extra prayers for Kristen!

Angi said...

You are doing just fine my friend, your other children will cope and be okay, don't worry, they will:-)Love the pic of Kristen with her sis!

stephanie said...

You're all doing amazingly well! Your son's dealing with something that most people never do. And he is handling it the best way for him. You have a close and loving family. if he was breezing through this with no feelings ... then I'd worry!

You will all come out on top! and Kristen on the tippity top!

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. I so understand. I think sometimes it is easy for outsiders who have never had to juggle life and death like we have to take one thing out of context and make it all about what it's not. Still it's hard to hear their theories. Thinking of you all the time.

Peter Olson said...

Polly,
Don't break any bones trying to get that perfect cartwheel.

You are a great mother! That's your perfect cartwheel. I'm sure that all of your children love you very much. Teenagers ~ that is a tough time for everyone.

"This too shall pass"

There are many people with learning disabilities who go on to achieve great things.

You may be in the presence of one of those great achievers. ;-)

To Love Endlessly said...

lots of prayers going out to you and yours. And don't be looking for trouble, when there's none to be found.

有南 said...

It's great!!..........................................