I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Spring?

Our precious friend, Jessenia, passed away just a few short days after she was given 3 to 4 months lo live. The infection in her lungs and the leukemia which was raging through her was just too much for her fragile little body. As her mother and I embraced at her viewing last night, it was difficult to understand and make any sense of her lifeless body lying next to us in her beautiful pink casket.

However, I am thankful that in the face of apparent tragedy, I can put my trust in God, knowing that my view is limited; I know that His purpose will not fail. With all the troubles that life offers us also comes tremendous privileges to grow in knowledge, wisdom, faith and works. I know that there is wisdom in trials that we might rise above them. We are given responsibilities that we might achieve, work to harden our muscles, sickness to learn patience, and sorrow to strengthen our souls.

As much as I hate cancer, I would be a fool to think that there has not been some lessons learned throughout this experience.
Through these trials my faith and patience have been strengthened. All that we suffer and all that we endure can build our character, purify our hearts, expands our souls, and make us more tender and charitable. I see these qualities in the children on the fourth floor, in Jessenia’s mother, Vicky and other parents that walk the halls. I, myself am still working on developing some of these traits.

We are off to the hospital today as Kristen is due for a spinal tap. She will receive chemo in her spinal fluid. She really hates these. They are usually followed by headaches and nausea.
We have some fun planned for Easter so hopefully she will recover quickly. I told my grandkids we would be hunting for eggs in the snow with one advantage, the bright colored eggs will be easy to spot against the white snow. After seeing what is going on in the New England area
I am not going to complain not even a little.

5 comments:

ABandCsMom said...

Oh my, it sure doesn't look like spring for you. Sorry you ended up getting more snow. Yuck!

Odd how we can almost find a way to appreciate the fact that we are cancer moms. We too, have learned many lessons along the way. We've learned not to sweat the small things. As so many people do. We've learned to be grateful, thankful for what we have been given in this life. We've learned that no matter how bad we think we have it...there is someone who is so much worse off than we could ever imagine.

Praying Kristen has an easy time with her spinal and minimal side effects.

Have a very Happy Easter. Enjoy your family time!

Amy L said...

I'm so sorry to hear your your dear friend. I am praying that Kristen will recover quickly and enjoy hunting for those Easter eggs!
Blessings to your whole family this Easter,
Amy

Tricia said...

We are having the warmest spring I have seen in several years. I am sorry to hear of the loss you are dealing with. I know how hard that is when you are in the midst of fighting cancer with your own child. I will be praying for Kristen, that she will not have the usual side effects of this spinal tap and that she will be healthy for Easter. May God bless you as you celebrate the resurrection of our Savior. :)

Lacey said...

We've lost a lot of friends in this world of medically fragile. But the cancer ward has it so much more. It never gets easier, and I can't imagine seeing it all the time. I know there are great lessons, although they are hard to see now. Glad Kristen continues to do great!

Angi said...

So sorry for your loss...Thinking of Kristin, as always:-) I hope she gets to decorate and hunt for some eggs!!! Happy Easter!!


And hey that would be US in New England...not to worry we are not under water!! We live at a much higher elevation than a lot of folks!!!