I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Friday, April 2, 2010

A spinal tap, eggs, and a birthday

Kristen was supposed to have a spinal tap yesterday, but without knowing it, she decided to play an April fools joke on me. She was not to have anything to eat after midnight and just before we were to leave for the hospital I heard her say yummm. I turned around and she was crunching on a pretzel. I thought one little pretzel can't hurt, I decided to call the hospital just to make sure before I made the 30 minute drive, and of course it did matter. We re-scheduled the spinal tap for today. She did really well. Preliminary tests show the spinal fluid to look good and as of right now she is still in good spirits. The chemo they put in her spine is pretty nasty stuff so it's hard to say how she will re-act. I have kept her on tylenol as it can get pretty sore. She retreated up to her bed early today which means she was once again beat.
This pic of Kristen coloring eggs  is from last year. We had just come home from the hospital and we were  all finished with chemo. We had spent the last 8 months fighting leukemia. She had finished her treatments and was in remission but still fighting to get her strength back. I never would have thought that this Easter we are back at it. I only hope that tomorrow as we color our eggs Kristen can join us in the kitchen. But if not, we'll take hers up to her room. 
This little princess is my grandaughter, Brooke. She turned 5 today. My daughter said that every morning when she wakes up she says, "Is Kristen home from the hospital?" Luckily my daughter has been able to answer with a great big YES. Brooke then replies, "Please can we go see her today?" And of course the answer to that is also YES.
Happy Birthday Brooke!

9 comments:

Lacey said...

Happy birthday to your dear grandaughter! And continued prayers for Kristen!

Brighton said...

Kristin is just beautiful! A total rockstar : ) Thank you so much for sharing. My kids, Sara included, read a bit and they are planning a gift box to send to Kristin.

stephanie said...

Brooke is adorable! And A happy Birthday to her!!
Hope Kristen is up to coloring eggs! sending a hug and prayers to you all!

Cammie Heflin said...

What a sweet girl! Happy Birthday Brooke! Praying for you sweet Kristen!

Angi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angi said...

I hope Kristen gets to color some eggs!! Brooke is a cutie - Happy B-day to her!! Carver was asking me if Kristen was "all" better yet...we were driving in the car and out of the blue he says..."is Kristen Kirton all better yet?" it was cute, and thoughtful, I told him that she was out the hospital and trying to get better at home - he was happy...

Peter Olson said...

Happy Easter!

Sasha said...

Happy Easter. Hope you get to do some eggs.

Kristi said...

Praying for Kristen!! And hope she got to color eggs with you all! Your grandaughter is beautiful!!! :)
Kristi