I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

"Mean Mom"

That's the name Kristen chose for me today. Can't say that I blame her. I drug her out of her cozy surroundings this morning out into a spring snow storm without any breakfast, not even a drink. You know the drill, nothing solid after midnight, clear liquids until 9am all a prep for her noon lumbar puncture.  We made a quick stop in the clinic for labs and anti-nausia meds. The labs showed that her kidneys were doing better than last week. Hooray! They will be checked again in a week. In 2 weeks Kristen will have another lumbar puncture and also a bone marrow biopsy. Tests will be done to determine the DNA in her marrow and of course we are hoping it is her brothers marrow and not hers. We already know what her bone marrow wants to do, make leukemia cells. So hopefully it will show 100%  her brothers DNA. We are planning on this being her LAST lumbar puncture and her LAST bone marrow biopsy.  Ever.
Once we arrived home today, Kristen headed back to her favorite place. It was only appropriate that the little princess was served dinner in bed.

Dinner was followed with a dose of tylenol to ease the pain in her back and as of late
she is snug as a bug in a rug. I think I will join her.

11 comments:

Cindy said...

Glad to hear Kristens kidneys are better. After her rude 'awakening' this morning, she absolutely deserved dinner in bed! You're a good mom to do that!

Lacey said...

Glad things continue to go well. If you ever see Dr. Barnett, tell him me and Jax say hi!

Heather said...

Sounds like a perfect end to your day ... snuggling with your princess!

love and prayers continue from California.

Amy L said...

Praying for Kristen that God will heal her body and bless her with a long life full of lots of happy times! Bless her heart! She's a trooper, I wouldn't want to go out early in that snow without eating either!!
Amy

JennyH said...

I'd probably call ya mean mom too! HA! Glad she got breakfast in bed though! Hopefully that made up for it.

Praying for good results. I guess I never thought about how the DNA would now show as her brothers. Is there (or should there) be no difference in the DNA now between her and him? strange how this all works.

Hope your feeling better Kristen. You are a trooper!

Jeana said...

So glad her kidney's are doing better. We will pray that her brothers bone marrow has taken over and she can be done with those tests!

Christi Harrison said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog about growing older. Kristen is beautiful. I'm sorry the cancer keeps coming back. She will be in my thoughts and prayers. Lots of Love,
Christi

Angi said...

Glad to hear her kidneys are better! I think a princess as cute as Kristen deserves whatever her litte (but really Big;) heart desires! (not to worry I won't hold the "mean mom" against you!)

向霖 said...

只有尋常才幹,但具有不尋常恆心的人,一切皆可獲取..............................

Brighton said...

The nice evened out the "mean" : )

Yay! for better kidney reports!!

Dawn said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile but never commented before. I guess I felt a special connection because we are the mother of older children.

Most of my friends on here have young children with developmental and health issues. Sometimes I feel all alone even though I know I'm not.

My daughter also has an extra chromosome disorder - Trisomy 9p. While my Taylor can't talk, I swear some of the looks she gives me say "mean mom" with her eyes...especially when it's port flush time.

Thank you for being so open in your blog and sharing your experiences. I'm glad Kristen's kidney's are doing better.