I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lazy days

Kristen has had a lazy week. I was starting to think something was up with her, then I realized it was probably the chemo she had in her spinal fluid last Friday. She will have another blood test in the clinic tomorrow morning. For some reason she isn't absorbing some of the
anti-rejection drugs the way she should. So that will have to be addressed tomorrow.
Every morning she comes down to the family room and wraps up in her blanket,
I told her she looked like a burrito...
She didn't think I was funny.

Do I dare say that life is feeling good? That we might actually be getting some normalcy back?
It is true that Kristen has a long way to go yet. She is still limited as to what she can and can't do. First of all she doesn't feel like doing anything which is actually good, cause home is where she needs to be for now. We need to get these first 100 days behind us and then we will better know how she is really doing. There will be a test on about day 100 that will tell us whose bone marrow is making a come back. Of course we are hoping for 100% donor.
As far as the whole life getting back to normal...Yes!
I get to go to my sons baseball game tomorrow.  If I have learned anything over the past year and a half I have sure learned it is the simple things that really matter.  
Things like sleeping in your own bed,
making breakfast for your kids before they take off to school,
taking your kids to school,
folding a fresh load of laundry,
 or sitting on the floor with your grandkids and laughing your guts out cause
 Alvin and the Chipmunks are so dang funny.

Yes I have learned a lot.
I have also learned as I walk frequent the halls of the cancer unit that
there is much to do. No time to waste.
There are many things, simple things that can be done to
brighten the day of a sick child.
I have a friend in California who also has a daughter that had leukemia.
She could no longer sit.
She started a project called
A couple times a year she makes a drop at the Children's Hospital in LA.
Dropping off several blankets for the children there that are fighting cancer.
I had a little time and thought I could surely help. My daughters and I spent a few hours and made 4 blankets to contribute to the project.

Kristen loved the pink princess one so I guess I'm off to the fabric store to get some more fleece!





13 comments:

Jana said...

Aunt Polly; Thanks to you and your love of Alvin and the Chipmunks I think I will go rent that tomorrow and watch it with my dad!!! I could tell that you guys were getting back into the swing of life again because of your happy mood when we were there yesterday! You are amazing and I admire your strength! Love ya.

ABandCsMom said...

Kristen looks like a pink pea pod!
So happy you're able to find some normalcy to life. Enjoy your baseball game. How exciting. Does Kristen get upset knowing she can't yet go out and about?

It cracks me up the way she lays in the chair. Carly does the same thing in our recliner! Silly girls..

Kristen's mom said...

Jana, Make sure you watch the very end, you know when I did my impersonation, when Alvin says "I'm not tired" and just so know I almost have the dance memorized that goes to the song, "Shake what your mama gave ya" I'll dance for you next time you come over.
Polly

SSBenjamins said...

And what a cute burrito she is.. I LOVE The Chipmunk Movies: Trent my disabled brother LOVED the music, he would drive his wheelchair to the cd player and turn it on, and he would laugh and laugh and laugh; I love these kids, what a gift you have in your home. I pray for the 100% as well. Take care.

Lacey said...

I'm so happy that things are good and "normal" at your house! It makes me smile!

Sasha said...

Glad to hear that things are going okay. She looks so cute all curled up in the blanket. Hope the next 100 days go well!!

Peter Olson said...

Welcome to the "New Normal" that tired feeling is a common side effect of the BMT. Sometimes I just get hit with a sick/tired feeling and I lay down for a while and then I'm better. It's weird how the body is affected by the new blood. Be on the lookout for issues with skin, stomach, diarrhea, dry eyes, fever, etc.
I'm near 1 year and 3 months post BMT and I'm dealing with bone and joint issues now too. Lovely! ;-) Ha! Ha! I understand the "New Normal".

Beautiful blankets!

Praying for 100% donor chimerism results and minimum BMT side effects.

Angi said...

Yay for your little fighter!! LOVE hearing about Kristen..even the little steps forward!!Sent another card out the other day!!HUGS!!

Monica said...

Well...she sure is a beautiful burrito!
This was a really beautiful post. your words are so uplifting. Thank you :)

Tari M. said...

I just stumbled across your blog last night, and I'm so struck in awe By Kristen's spirit and strength, and also by yours.

I work at a Bead shop here in Seattle, and I'm wondering If Kristin would enjoy some pretty beads If I sent them If so, what colors would she like :)

Jessica said...

Hi, Poly-

My family is visiting my sister in San Diego this weekend, but I just wanted to let you know that the blankets arrived! They are beautiful, thank you so much! I hope you all are having a great weekend.

Love,
Jessica (Zoey's oldest sister) :)

Brighton said...

What a beautiful way to help!

Our care package from Texas for Kristen will go in the mail tomorrow. So glad she's getting the rest she needs.

Jana said...

Aunt Polly,
I will for sure watch the last part of Alvin and the Chipmunks! It's already my favorite part of the movie. I will have to come over and see the dance that you have learned so well!