I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

We need a bigger basket...

Today is World Down Syndrome Day. It is a day to promote research, awareness, and promotion of the interests of people with Down syndrome.
Today I will be promoting this little muffin....

These are some of the cards and letters Kristen has received over the past few months.
As you can see, we need a bigger basket.
Thank You so much to all of you that have sent
 Kristen a card or note.
She loves her mail!

Kristen received another package from her friend Sarah It was this cute St. Patricks Day shirt.
Thank You Sarah! It is darling on her.

23 years ago my beautiful baby girl showed up with a little something extra...a simple little chromosome. Kristen has taken us on a journey, one that wasn't planned or even expected. There has been obsticles and trials each of which Kristen has met with bravery and dignity. We know that Kristen was placed in our home and in our hearts for a very special purpose. Our lives have been enriched by all the special gifts Kristen has brought with her. Kristen is brave and she is beautiful.
We are forever changed for having her in our family. Her presence has filled our home with much happiness.
I haven't shared Kristen's birth story here. That will be saved for another day. I have one as we all do. No, I didn't know before Kristen was born that she had Down syndrome. I was 25 years old and Kristen was my third child. I remember some of my biggest fears...what happens when she is 13 and all the girl stuff happens, and what about when she is 20, and 30 and what if..... Who will take care of her when I'm not here. I am thankful that holding that sweet child in my arms put my fears to rest. I learned then that it would take steps, even baby steps, this was going to be a journey for all of us, one that required living moment by moment. Live for today and don't borrow trouble from tomorrow. That is exactly what I have done. Your child doesn't all of a sudden go from being 2 to 23. It is gradual and as they grow, so do we.
We grow with them and we learn right beside them.
Kristen continues today to touch many lives just as she did 20 years ago.
 She radiates love and people are drawn to her.
She is an example of bravery.
She continues to move forward, No matter what.
We could all learn something from her.

11 comments:

Heather said...

Thank for sharing Kristen with all of us.Thank you for the reminder to take baby steps.It is sometimes difficult for me to take even my own advice .. live in the here and now.Let Zoey be my guide and Slow and Steady does indeed win the ace.

Love to you all.

Becca said...

I just found your blog. Happy WDSD, and BIG hugs to Kristen! I'm so sorry she's going through this. What an inspiration she is.

stephanie said...

what a joy it is for me to be able in some way be a part of such a beautiful life. Thank you for letting us know Kristen and your family!

Lacey said...

Dito with Heather, thank you for sharing her brave journey with us! Its been fabulous.
Oh and I have to ask if she got my card with Jax blowing her double kisses?

Emma said...

I've just found your blog today from Little Wonders. I've been following them for about a year and Zoey has always amazed me. Kristen seems to me to be another one of those amazing spirits; she has beaten the odds time and time again.

From all these blogs I have gained a better understanding of Down's Syndrome. I hope to meet everyone in person some day, if God wills, if not you will always be in my heart.

Give Kristen some extra hugs from me, across the ocean in my little island.

All my love,
Emma

Tina said...

Happy Down Syndrome day to you and your entire family. Thank you for letting us be part of kristin's brave journey, she is a true inspiration and symbol of hope. Love and hugs to her.

Suzie said...

Beautiful thanks for sharing!

Brandi said...

We just love you!! I check on you all the time and just think you are amazing. And we think Kristen is amazing too. Thanks again for your link, it seems you always guide me to the right places. Much love Brandi

ABandCsMom said...

Give Kristen a hug from us! She is such a trooper.

Peter Olson said...

I pray that the biggest basket you can find still overflows!
Love - Hugs - Cards - Gifts - Joy!

Jenn said...

Hi! I found you through a friend, Amber. I adopted my little girl, who happens to be "Chromosomally enhanced" as well. We will be praying for Kristin!!