I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Rockstar...

First the picture... I had just given Kristen a shower and changed her sheets last night about 11pm, I heard a little snicker out of her and turned around and this is what I saw.
I think she's been secretly  taking yoga classes.

Now you won't believe me when I tell you that Kristen has had a difficult week. The sores in her mouth, throat and who knows where else have gotten the best of her. She has not been able to eat or drink a thing or even swallow. She has been on a morphine pump since Sunday. Yesterday she had a little sparkle in her eye, and sure enough she had a white count. Not huge, but enough to start attacking the sores.
She even had a few bites of soup in the afternoon.
The white count is the first sign that engraftment is coming. That means her brothers bone marrow has found it's way and is producing healthy cells. Yesterday I ran into one of her nurse practioners in the hall and he had heard the news that Kristen was starting to engraft. He said,
"Of course she is, She's our Rockstar!"
This morning during rounds the docs were of course pleased. Once again called her their "Star" patient.
I thought I would look up the new lingo for "Rockstar"
This is what I found...
A rockstar is a trendsetter, early-adopter and modern day
expert all in one.
A rockstar is the best of the best,
an expert in his/her own domain.
This rockstar status could apply to anyone at anytime. It only takes YOU to believe you are a rockstar.
ROCK ON!
There you have it..A Rockstar has been born.

From one Rockstar to another...Thank You Sarah


A fellow cancer mom 2 doors down made these tiles for everyone on the floor.
Thank You Lacey

21 comments:

ABandCsMom said...

I'm smiling from ear to ear seeing that picture of Kristen.
Rock on girl!

stephanie said...

Happy tears here!!!!
I love you ROCK STAR!!!!

Nicki Swilor said...

I love it! I got caught giggling at her picture and one of the girls came over to see how cute she is. She is a rockstar!

crazymother said...

I am so glad to hear that she has a sparkle back in her eye...and I love that picture of her! I think you have a miracle for a daughter!

The VW's said...

Rock on Kristen! You seem to do this so effortlessly....you are such an inspiration! And, I love the picture of you doing yoga in bed! Too funny! Keep fighting! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

Lacey said...

Indeed a rockstar! Like sweet Zoey, you would never know she was so sick, she never shows it. Yeah for engrafment!

Cindy said...

Great news and greater photo! I am so glad to hear her white count is rising! We will continue to pray.

Heather said...

I LOVE that plaque...and we love you all and your amazing,courageous rock star!!The picture made me smile and the the word engraftment nearly made me cry... happy,joyfilled tears!

Much love from California.

Tricia said...

Glad to hear the good news! I will keep praying.

My name is Sarah said...

Hey, nice downward facing dog. I have a special message for you on my blog Kristen. I was so happy when I got home and my mom said you had a good day.

Angi said...

So proud of her!! Such a strong girl:-) I never had a doubt in my mind! (not sure what it was about that picture but it so reminded me of my brother...he use to do silly things like that too!!)

Rochelle said...

Oh Kristen you are a ROCKSTAR! So glad for such a great report! Keep rockin'

Kim said...

Such a funny girl! You go ROCK STAR!

Runningmama said...

Keep Rockin' it!

Bonnie said...

Hi Kristen! Love your downward dog! :) I am Sarah's friend and music therapist. Been hearing all about you through Sarah every week. Hoping and praying good things for you! Oh yes, and ROCK ON!

Tina said...

Yup kristin ROCKS!!! Her courage and strength is a source of hope for all of us. Got goose bumps reading the words "first sign engraftment is coming" couldn't have wished for better news.

To Love Endlessly said...

secret yoga classes?!? You sure know how to stay busy! That's a fantastic downward facing dog girl!!

mandd3 said...

Your daughter is amazing! But I'm sure you knew that already. Rockstar indeed!

Talley Images said...

Go Kristen Go!

Mama Mason-Mann said...

GREAT job Kristen and love the yoga pose. Looks so refreshing!

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

Love the yoga moves! Also - love the rockstar poster from sarah :)