I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Few Bonus Days

Kristen is hanging on like she does. We are at day +8, the docs expected things to go down hill fast on about day +3, so I figure we got a few bonus days of goodness. We’ll take em.

My 16 year old son , Ryan, is trying out for the baseball team at his high school. He called me yesterday looking for a ride to the ER. Luckily both Richard and Rick were home and able to get Ryan over to the doctor. Seems he made the team and broke his hand all in the same day. It was of course, his pitching hand. Hopefully, if he takes care of his hand, he will only be out for 3 weeks. Did I mention Ryan loves to play baseball and he is good at it. I was able to run home for an hour last night and check on him. His spirits are good and he still plans on going to all the practices. I told him to drink lots of milk, and he just looked at me like I was crazy, which at this point, I just might be.

It’s been a week and a day since the bone marrow transplant. Rick has done amazing. He was given a prescription for pain pills as he was expected to be in quite a bit of pain. Seems he didn’t need the pain pills, not even a Tylenol. Nothing. He took 2 days off work and rested and then he was right back at it.

The doctor is pleased with Kristen’s progress. He said things are going just as he hoped. Her counts are falling slowly and she is holding on to every single one of her
white cells as long as she can.
Which could be a miracle in and of itself.

The cancer beast strikes again. Yesterday I went in the parent laundry room, I saw one of my friend cancer moms sitting in the corner hunched over sobbing, another mom comforting her. It seems they are going home today. They have done all they could do for her 6 year old princess. Leukemia was just too much. She was ready for a transplant in December, just as they were about to proceed, relapse. And now once again.relapse. It isn't fair. As you walk through the unit today, most of the moms have red swollen eyes. We are all drifting in the same boat. We never know who is going to get thrown off next.
It could be anyone of us and we know it.

Some amazing person has been donating these cute afghans to the hospital. Kristen has had the pleasure of receiving 2 of them, which we love.
Too bad I couldn't get a smile out of her this morning.
Even without the smile she is still the cutest little muffin ever.

14 comments:

Heather said...

Proud of you Kristen.You are doing this thing in true Kristen style and Polly ... you are doing an amazing job.Juggling it all and managing to be there for everyone of your children.As well as processing the pain and sorrow that comes with being on that floor.For me that was the hardest part of the journey,trying to understand the inexplicable.watching with such helplessness as others come to the end of their battle.I send you peace during those times and I know you,you are more then likely praying those families and children right through it.

I love the Willow statue on the sidebar.I collect them and love them so.That one is perfect.

Sending much love and abundant prayers from California

Nicki Swilor said...

She really is the cutest little muffin. I love your blog updates so much. If you had one of those things on here that show who has been here, I think I would be on there a million times checking for updates, just in case for some reason blogger didn't update your feed on my blog. I hear from all my family and friends that read Kristen's blog how great of a writer they all think you are. I am so impressed with how quick Ricky recovered and how great Kristen continues to look in her pictures, smile or no smile. Prayers are definitely being answered and you have so many people praying for Kristen and your family.

Nef Family said...

We are so happy to hear that she is doing so well! Keep amazing those doctors!!! It breaks our heart to hear the misfortunes of others - such virtue and vice abounds with cancer. Thanks for sharing other peoples stories.

Brandi said...

We are checking on you all the time so keep the post coming! I can't imagine what you are going through but I do remember those long days in the hospital at PMC when my husbands little sister was battling cancer...ugh long sad days! I do remember our long days at the U and I am sure you know this but the Huntsman Cancer center has an awesome resturant with beautiful views if you need a quick not so far away break. Thinking of you all and hang in there.

To Love Endlessly said...

Smile or not, she is the cutest muffin ever. BTW...I love that little saying! I'm praying for her and other moms and kiddos on the unit. I pray you each receive peace, trust, and find hope among all of this.

stephanie said...

I don't even know what to write. I have only the vision of that poor mom in my head. And the thought that everyone walks around wondering who will be next.
You are amazing to be able to walk in two worlds. It sounds like the freakin twilight zone in the hospital, then you walk out and your back in the familiar world called home and kids.
And yes Kristen is the cutest and bravest of all little muffins!!

All our love and prayers!

Sasha said...

She sounds like she is doing pretty good. Glad to hear that things are going well and that she is still hanging in there and keeping up the fight.

Tina said...

Praying for Kristin to battle the next days with all her strength and courage. She will get through this.
My heart breaks thinking of that mom, gosh what she must be going through and knowing that it could be anyone of us... so grateful, so thankful for out health right now.
kristin really is cute even without the smile, gosh after everything she has been through I think we can accept her without a smile for once.
God bless and Kristin please continue doing so wonderfully

Annette said...

Kirton Krew you all are showing phenomenal strength and resiliency. Our prayers are for all of you as you juggle everyones needs at this difficult time. Kristen continues to amaze me with her strength, easier to do when she has such a loving supportive family.

Our thoughts are with all the families who are suffering on that floor.

Stay strong.
Much love,
Annette Morley

ABandCsMom said...

Oh Kristen, smile or not you are a beauty! Glad to hear all is going well for you. We think of you often and pray for you each day. You continue to amaze me the way you just go with it all.

Cindy said...

I come here often to check for updates to Kristen's battle. I am thankful to hear of your 'bonus days' and will continue to pray for thousands more!

Suzie said...

We continue to think of you and Kristen. Check in on the blog often. I hope ALL your sons are doing better :-) Breaking a bone can really add to a mom's stress, did he not know that ;-)
Sending love and prayers your way.

Monica said...

you are right...she is the cutest muffin ever!..well she and Zoey that is! :) Have a a great weekend!

Amy L said...

I'm praying for Kristen! She is absolutely beautiful and such a gift!
God Bless,
Amy Lucas