I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Battle Wounds

It was bound to happen. 
When you're fighting something as tough and mean as cancer, there are sure to be a few wounds.
We were warned about the intensity of the chemo Kristen received almost 2 weeks ago. It is designed to wipe her bone marrow clean, so her brothers marrow can find it's way and do it's job. Kristen's bed is full of little pieces of hair. I believe soon she will once again have a smooth shiny head. Notice the red marks on her arm? Those would be from the every 4 hour blood pressure checks and her low platelet count. And the little gray button behind her shoulder, that is know as a PCA, or morphine pump. The chemo causes severe mucositis, which consists of sores in her mouth, GI track and gastrointestinal irritation. Because Kristen no longer has a normal functioning immune system, she isn't able to heal from these sores very quickly. She has stopped eating and drinking as she can no longer even swallow as the sores in her throat are so bad. She is now on the morphine pump to control her pain. Tomorrow she will probably be put on IV nutrition until she can eat again. We are hoping these days will be short and pass quickly. For the most part, Kristen is in pretty good spirits as long as we keep the pain in check. We are so blessed that Kristen has the determination and the sheer power to survive all that life has dealt her. She continues to give me the knowledge that true courage and strength exist. I find myself getting anxiety over what the next few days and weeks will bring.
 I just want her to get better!
I keep reminding myself to live for today,
one day at a time and don't borrow trouble from tomorrow.
Please say a little pray for our angel girl.

11 comments:

Gerald said...

Polly, not a night goes by without remembering Kristen in our family prayers along with your family. We love you. Jeanne

Kristin said...

What a warrior! Prayers for Kristen that she will heal quickly.

Tina said...

Thinking of kristin, and the brave fighter she is. I will keep her in my prayers, that the next days go by without Kristin suffering and that a brighter tomorrow is just around the corner.
Keep fighting Kristin we are so proud of you. You can do it!

stephanie said...

always praying and thinking of Kristen and you! Her determination and bravery blow me away.
Praying this very difficult and painful time for Kristen passes quickly.

The VW's said...

Love, Hugs and Prayers to you and your courageous fighter!!!

Tricia said...

I pray for her several times a day and I won't stop praying. Hang in there, mom. It might help if you could get out of the hospital for a few hours and go someplace calming and centering. Blessings to you and yours.

Peter Olson said...

Kristen is such a beautiful girl. Great picture!
She can smile even in pain, with sores, and all that she is going through.
Wow! What strength, what will power, what determination, - you have to be very proud of her. She is one tough fighter!
We pray that Kristen continues to get better, the sores and pain go away, and she keeps that wonderful smile.
May God Bless You All!

ABandCsMom said...

Thinking of Kristen daily. She is one amazingly strong gal. Praying for all of you as you go through this difficult time.

My name is Sarah said...

Hi Kristen, I got your postcard. Did you see it on my blog? I love your picture. I hate how sick you have to be. I hope this stage moves quickly. I am thinking of you all the time.

Tricia said...

Polly, I know you have a lot on your plate right now, but I also know how the cancer community pulls together to offer encouragement to others fighting cancer. I have a friend who was just diagnosed with ovarian cancer. If you get the chance, could you check out her blog and leave a bit of encouragement? Thanks,

Tricia said...

um. duh. this is her blog address: http://jnzean.blogspot.com/