I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

More Testing


Kristen had an audiology and clinic appointment today. It is difficult to test her hearing because she likes to do things her way. She was supposed to drop a block in the bucket every time she heard the beep. She soon realized this was a game and would drop a block in just for fun. The chemo she will receive in a few days can affect hearing, so a baseline was needed. We didn't get too far. In clinic a few of her meds were changed. She needs to be on something to protect her kidneys from the chemo, and something else to keep her from having seizures. Sounds like we are going to have just a blast this weekend when the chemo starts.

Here is the plan...
*She will have a dental check-up tomorrow.
*Thursday, Rich and I have "education day" in the bone marrow clinic where we will learn more than we ever wanted to know.
*Kristen will be admitted to the hospital at 5am Friday morning.
*Intense chemo will start at 6am and continue for 5 days.
*She will then rest one day.
*The bone marrow transplant will take place on
Wednesday, February 24th.

The chemo will be new stuff she has never seen before.
The word on the street is...
 "It's tough!"
Say a little prayer for her.

15 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

My semester this year includes an audiology class. The lecture today included effects of chemo treatments. It also had a section of trying to get a baseline on recalcitrant clients. Kristen sounds like a textbook example. I'll bet she was grinning the entire time. :)

Praying for your sweet girl and family.

Julie Harward said...

Oh my goodness...what a little angel you have here...God bless her and take care of her! I don't live in Manti..I love about 1 1/2 hours south of there...but it is a cute place, my daughter went to school there too..a great school. Thanks for the kind visit...best blessings to your angel here! :D

Heather said...

More then a little prayer coming from all of us.Thinking of you and sending love every step of the way.So proud of your girl.She continues to amaze and inspire us all.


In the BMT Unit here they sing "Happy Birthday" as they begin the transfusion of the new bone marrow ... I think that is so appropriate.

ABandCsMom said...

We will be praying for sure.

Barry said...

She is a tough fighter and she will certainly be in my thoughts!

Suzie said...

My heart hurts for you.

Lacey said...

My head is spinning just reading this! Praying hard, is she allowed visitors once this starts?

SSBenjamins said...

What a sweet girl. I love the part where you said she has a mind of her own- that is so the truth I remember my bro Trent he did too they are such blessings and such gifts in our lives. You sure do have busy days ahead we are praying for your family at this time. My heart goes out to you all. My neighbor is just starting a chemo that can cause all kinds of stuff and its a new one as well. I wonder if its the same, he has done wonderfully on this chemo. I pray and think of your family often.

The VW's said...

Praying! Praying! Praying! Love and Hugs!!!

stephanie said...

1Big Sigh!! Lots of prayers!!!!!!
And let's Go Kick Some Butt!!!!!

Monica said...

I got a little chuckle when I read about the hearing test...I can so relate. My Matthew does like to do things his own way too. lol
He would have been dropping those blocks and laughing.

My thoughts and prayers are with you! Hang in there and remember God is right there with your angel every moment of every day!

Peter Olson said...

They warned me that the pre-BMT chemotherapy drugs would be 7 to 10 times worse than any chemo I ever had before, but it turned out to be the easiest chemo ever for me. But not including the spinal tap chemo, I got very sick one hour after I had it, and after getting anti-nausea drugs through IV I was cured in about one hour after that. Funny, because they said that it was rare that anyone had problems with the spinal tap chemo. Go figure!
I will be praying for Kristen more and more through this weekend.
May God Bless You!

My name is Sarah said...

Thank you for the update. We are thinking of you Kristen. Be brave.

Nicki Swilor said...

We'll keep praying for you all as you start the next step in the process. I'm so glad you have such an amazing doctor that is willing to just move on and get this all done! Remember that God is on your side and will be with you through it all!

Barry said...

I rang my bell for her today, and all of us who have been inspired by her.