I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Second Birthday

Happy Bone Marrow Birthday to Kristen!
The transplant went well. Both Rick and Kristen are doing well tonight. I talked to Rick a couple of hours ago and  his back was still numb. The doctor told Rick they stuck him 140 times. OUCH!
Rick arrived here at the hospital at 6am. He was taken into surgery at 8 and by 9:30 the doctors were finished. They had removed over a liter of bone marrow. Rick went to recover for almost 2 hours. The marrow was taken to the lab and prepared for Kristen. Meanwhile, Kristen remained in her room with family as we waited for both Ricky and the bone marrow to arrive. At 2pm the doctor arrived with the marrow. The bone marrow team came in and presented Kristen with gifts and songs. She had just been given a large dose of benadryl so she was a bit sleepy. I love all of Kristen's nurses and doctors. They are all amazing. It was interesting to see the lab tech open her cooler and pull out the bag of bone marrow. After checking the numbers and making sure Kristen was getting the right bag of marrow the transplant began. It took just over 2 hours and our girl was done. Now we wait. Kristen is expected to engraft somewhere between day 15 and 30. In the mean time we can expect a sick little girl. Her mouth sores should be so severe that she will stop eating and she will also be put on a morphine pump to control the pain. She will be given IV nutrition and watched closely as she has NO immune system. The next few weeks will be a critical at time. We will continue to take things one day at a time and continue to pray that her side effects will be minimal and that she will be comfortable. We love Rick and are so grateful that he has led a life that enables him to donate to his sister and give her chance for a cure. My children are amazing.
It was comforting to have them all here today to support each other.
Thanks to family and friends who have also
supported us and continue to check on us daily.








19 comments:

Kristin said...

You must be so proud of both of them. What an honor to have raised kids with so much love for each other. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Kristen!!!!

SSBenjamins said...

I am SO glad things went so well, as you say the next little while is sure critical.. My heart melts for you all- what an awesome brother Kristen has, he is a hero- I hope he knows that.. I have SO much respect for him. Our prayers will be with your Family, your son and your daughter.

p.s.- what is the website you go on to get the candy hearts?

Heather said...

I have said it countless times today and I will continue to say it ... amazing.Simply amazing.

We will continue our vigilant prayers.We will continue to ask God to protect Kristen and see her to complete healing.We rejoice in this day alongside you and believe with all our hearts that this is indeed a miracle in the making!

stephanie said...

New life in that tiny bag, unbelievable. I think you should send a pic to the insurance company. The one with your daughter with the dark hair holding it and smiling.
Signed HAHA on you!
Can you tell that they are still is driving me mad!
So Happy for Kristen! Now for a speedy and symptom free recovery!

Peter Olson said...

Excellent! Happy 2nd Birthday Kristen!
You continue to be in our prayers.

I pray that you don't need that pink plastic container anymore. ;-)

May God Bless You with miraculous healing. Amen!

mandd3 said...

May there be 100 more 2nd birthday's for Kristen in that bag! How you don't burst with pride from your children is beyond me, I'm proud of them and I don't even know them.

Leah said...

Tears! That's what I have this morning, lots of tears! Praising God for all kinds of things he has done for Krisen, and for all I know he will continue to do!

Lacey said...

Yeah for bone marrow day! Is it the bone marrow that causes her to get so sick, or the chemo? Praying that she does good the next few weeks!

Joyce said...

The love of your family is just beautiful. What a tremendous support system you have and such a wonderful testimony for others. I look at Rick and see such an incredible young man. I doubt that it has really sunk in yet what a selfless thing he has done. My heart is with Kristen and all of you. How hard it will be to see her get so sick to become well again.

Suzie said...

Incredible! Give both Kristen and Rick big hugs from us.

Jeana said...

I'm so glad this was finally able to happen. What amazing children you have...thanks to their amazing parents. We will be praying for Kristen. Fun to see you today!

Sasha said...

I am glad to hear that everything went well and that you have such a great family to support you all through this. Sending hugs to you and hoping that the next little goes as best as it can. Hugs

ABandCsMom said...

So now I'm crying. Tears of happiness for Kristen and for your family. Your amazing family! Happy second birthday Kristen. We're praying for you and for your family. I'm so very happy that everything went so well.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

HAPPY TRANSPLANT DAY!!!! We are praying for you guys!

JennyH said...

What a great family you have. Hope Ricky feels better.

Hang in there Kristen. Many people are praying for you. I hope the next few weeks aren't too rough on you.

如此的 said...

若對自己誠實,日積月累,就無法對別人不忠了。........................................

Brandi said...

We are thinking of you everyday!!

Mucki said...

I am so so so happy to hear that Kristen finally got her second birthday and second chance! Also I am so moved to read about her wonderful brother. What an amazing family you have! All the very very very best to Kristen and hope everything goes well. I haven't been following the blogs for a while but will be thinking and praying for Kristen. Lots of love Sushmita

George said...

I read your comment on our blog, Madey and I were just passing the time here at the hospital watching the BlindSide, thank you for finding us and allowing us to read Kristin's story, what an amazing girl, Madey was very inspired by her and would love it if she wants to run in the 5k. I hope all is well with her current treatment, we will include her in our prayers.