I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

2 days ago, we heard a little something from the insurance company. It wasn’t no and it wasn’t yes. It went more like this…“You are scheduled for a prehearing conference call sometime in March. I can’t give you an exact date; however, I will let you know as soon as we know.”

My first thoughts were…”Are you kidding me?”
Kristen doesn’t have a month.
Cancer waits on no one.

I called my husband and asked him if we could start selling everything we had. Kristen needs this transplant NOW. Of course he agreed that we would do whatever we had to do to make sure Kristen was able to move forward with the transplant.
You would all do the same.
 Every parent would.

Yesterday I waited and waited and heard nothing. I watched the clock this morning and as soon as it said 9am I was on the phone. I called the coordinator with bone marrow transplant to see if she heard anything and if we should put our home up for sale. She said,
“Don’t sell your home just yet, I have some news for you...
The doctor is ready to move forward without the approval.”

We spent the remainder of the day in the hospital getting labs for Kristen and her brother, Rick. The doctor spent a lot of time with Rick explaining all of the donor information. He signed the consent forms and he is ready to go. I received a schedule for Kristen and it looks like she will have a busy week. Tomorrow we are back at it with an EKG, an Echo and pulmonary function testing. Next week is also full of testing and she is scheduled to be admitted on
Friday, Feb. 19th to begin the transplant process.

I am thankful that prayers once again have been answered. There are some we are still waiting on. I am thankful for a doctor who recognizes the value in Kristen’s life and is willing to go forward. We will continue to pray for the right answer from the insurance company. I am also thankful for my family and friends who continue to encourage me. I have been blessed to be surrounded by such amazing people who are willing to help in any way they can. At times when my faith is faltering, it has been comforting to know that someone else is there to pick me up and show me the way. And then right before is Kristen. She never seems to lose her way. She keeps fighting and going forward.
She does the hard things. Tonight we are also thankful for a brother
who is willing and excited to help
Kristen find her way to a cure.

I have a little obsession with conversation hearts. Now that I have found a way to create my own messages the obsession will only get worse. If you happen to be my Facebook friend you can be expecting your custom made message any time now.

18 comments:

ParkerMama said...

I am seriously jumping for joy with this news! I am so thrilled that things are going to go forward.

Kristin said...

Tears of joy. Just said another prayer for you :)

Joyce said...

TEARS OF JOY!!!! We have been checking night and day since your last post. I didn't want to put our post up until we heard something but Sarah insisted it go up before she went to bed. She will be so thrilled in the morning to hear this. Thank you Polly for the bracelets. They truly mean so much. I love the conversation hearts:)

Tina said...

I am so thrilled just reading this, and so relieved and happy, felt so helpless after your last post, and have been thinking of you guys. After the darkest part of the night comes dawn and with it light. Will have Kristin in my thoughts and prayers that from here on everything goes smoothly.

Heather said...

And forward we all go with you,full of hope ... hoping for another miracle.

Love to you all.Prayers flowing in abundance in California.

Angi said...

I don't even have words, I am so very excited and relieved that you can move forward. (and a few tears too!)

mandd3 said...

Hooray, hooray, hooray for good doctors! I can't imagine the roller coaster ride you have been on in the last few months, but am so glad you now have something to hold on to.

stephanie said...

GOD BLESS YOU'RE DOCTOR EVERYDAY FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE!!!!!!!!
The power of prayer(and a lot of begging from RI)is unstoppable!!!
God is good!
Polly I have to tell you you're last post made me sick, literally.

Tears of joy and relief are falling right now!!!!
Squeeze Kristen and yourself from all of us!!!

Lacey said...

Oh I could kiss your doctor. finally a doctor that has done the right thing, to get this going!

The VW's said...

I was just going to say the same thing as Lacey! That doctor deserves a big ole' smooch and a great big hug! He reminds us that there are good people in this world! Thank God for him!

And, Thank God for your son, your friends and family and for answered prayers!!!

Sounds like there is a lot going on for you and your family, but it sounds like a future full of great prospect!

Many will be thinking of you guys and praying! Keep up the fight Kristen and your great attitude! You are an inspiration! HUGS!!!

Peter Olson said...

Yeah! Now we are talking! At a girl!
Keep sending those talking hearts our way! I love those sweethearts.
Seriously, Tears of Joy! You have just uplifted our spirits.
We will continue to pray for Kristin as she takes the road ahead.
You can't imagine the joy we share with you and hope and pray for the best results. May God Bless you with joy and love in the days ahead. We are all rooting for Kristin.

Peter Olson said...

Kristen!
(sorry can't spell my way out of a wet paper bag) ;-)

Nef Family said...

We hope it keeps working in your favor. This is great news. I think we're addicted to your blog - Kristin is just that kind of amazing person that keeps us all going!

My name is Sarah said...

Oh I think this is good news. I mean I hate that you have to have this done but I am happy they are going to help you. I really like your brother. He is a good guy.

grammygwen said...

Still here in North Carolina praying for beautiful Kristen.
God Bless,
Gwen Robertson

Suzie said...

Wonderful news!!!!

Lianna said...

Truly the most wonderful thing I've read in a LONG time!♥♥♥

Jean said...

Dear Kristen and Mom,
My name is Jean and I’m a volunteer with the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link. Our organization helps patients, caregivers, and families cope with the social and emotional challenges of transplant by providing vital information and personalized support services. We subscribe to Google blog alerts, where we found your story.
My daughter, also "Kristen" had a transplant 8 years ago. I'd like to send you a copy of our award-winning "Caregivers' Guide for BMT"; if that's all right, please email me at jeansjones@gmail.com.
To learn more about nbmtLINK programs and services, please visit www.nbmtlink.org or call 800-546-5268.
All the best!