I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Someone please check the chemo

Someone needs to check the chemo. There are 24 beds in the Immunocompromised (ICS) Unit. Our unit is equipped with highly sophisticated air filtering and environmental monitoring systems. This is home to the cancer and transplant children. We have been regular guests for the past year and a half. At times the unit is full to capacity, but usually you can find an empty room or two, especially as the weekend nears. This past 3 months, since Kristen’s relapse, the rooms are full. Not an empty room in the house. Not only that, they have opened another pod on the floor just below us which is home to 8 children. The other day they had to open another pod bringing the total downstairs to 12. That makes 36 cancer kids that are presently here. For some unknown reason, Leukemia, both ALL and AML are running rampant through these halls. Not only are new diagnosis on the rise but the number of relapse children that have come back is astounding.
I realize that childhood cancer is considered rare. However, If you happen to live here for any given amount of time, it is anything but rare, it’s life. I also realize that over the past several years childhood cancer has transformed from a death sentence to a treatable disease. As I have walked these halls the past few weeks talking to other parents about their children and what has brought them here, we all have the same concern, “What the heck is going on?” The mother of a relapse ALL little girl asked my last night, “Do you think they are putting water in the chemo?” From my front row seat I am wondering if enough is being done. Where are all these new diagnosis and relapses coming from?

As for Kristen, She is in good spirits. Her numbers appear as though there might be some white cells brewing in the next few days. The doctor came in this morning and said, “I’m amazed at how well she is doing.” That’s my girl! I would expect nothing less from her. She put on her boxing gloves a long time ago and is not about to take them off any time soon. Still waiting to hear from the insurance company concerning our appeal.



10 comments:

Lacey said...

Thats horrible that you have that many cancer kids there. I know they sometimes use surgical unit as a backup. They must not be very full.

Angi said...

That's right Kristen - keep those boxing gloves on till you beat this!!! (so you can relay that to that tough girl of yours right:) Out of the blue the other day my (3and 1/2 yr old) son said "Mom, I think I need to make another card for that Kristen Kirton" -(yes he remembered her first and last name) and he proceeded to sit down at our kitchen table with markers, crayons and his beloved stickers...do you think Kristen likes homemade cards with Spiderman stickers???

ABandCsMom said...

How awful. This gave me chills up and down my spin. It worries me that they are slacking in our kids chemo treatments. Maybe cutting back in the potency of those drugs. I worry about the government getting to involved in our kids and their health care. It scares the crap out of me.

I'm happy to hear the Kristen is her wonderful self. Ready to fight with all her might. Stinks that she has to do so. But good that she, herself has the ability to over come. Keep those gloves on Kristen! Kick cancer's butt. AGAIN!!

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Alarming it seems. Not what we like to hear. I did recently watch an episode of American Greed and that is exactly what a pharmacist was doing, watering down chemo to make more money.

Glad Kristen is doing so well. Sarah was thrilled to see her card on the board in the photo. I think it made it real for her that yes Kristen was actually getting them.

Cindy said...

I'm stunned. There are 36 kids there, fighting cancer? That is not right. Keep fighting Kristen! You're not alone!

Sasha said...

So glad to hear that she is doing well and still keeping strong. If you told me a year ago I would be shocked but right now I am living in a cancer world with both my parents being diagnosed and I have learned just how many people are dealing with cancer. Rather than the water...I wonder about our food system and pesticides ect. Also there has to be more done for research on cancer and alternative treatments or complimentary treatments. Anywasy that is my 2 cents. My thoughts are with you and your family.:)

Heather said...

As I would walk the halls of our hospital,each day,everyday,for 7 months,I had to ask...how can childhood leukemia be rare?How could childhood cancer,any of it,be rare?Do you see this place?Each bed filled and more children waiting to get treatment at our hospital.60 plus beds on our floor.Almost always full.Scary and sad and so frustrating that we cannot find a cure.A forever cure.

Sending you all love and prayers and so thankful that Kristen continues to do her "thing".Her amazing, courageous"thing."

The VW's said...

It breaks my heart thinking of all those children having to go through this tough fight! Keep fighting Kristen! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

Peter Olson said...

My money is on Kristen. She is tough.
Kick some leukemia butt, girl!
We have a lot of work to do. Don't be discouraged. Remember smallpox, and polio were terrible at one time too, but now, both have been virtually eradicated. Hopefully, a cure for all types of cancer can be developed in the near future too.

scrappy quilter said...

Unreal how many kids are there.

Kristen keep on fighting. Hugs