I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

She's got some numbers!


Yeah! Kristen’s numbers are moving in the right direction. Her pink cheeks and red lips are a welcomed sight as she received 2 units of blood today, however, her platelets have been coming up on their own. She finally had an ANC of 100 today, if they are up tomorrow we could be on our way home. We are standing on a path of uncertainty as we wait for the insurance company to approve the transplant. Although Kristen is in remission, anything could happen, the sooner the transplant can take place the better. If approval doesn’t come soon, we will start another round of chemo in a week or two.
I have had a couple of bad days as the reality of what we are doing here keeps slapping me in the face. Yesterday, Sharon, from housekeeping was cleaning our room, as she does every day. Everyone loves Sharon! The nurse came in and told her she needed to take a break, that Dave, another nurse wanted to see her. She left our room and came back and it was obvious she had been crying.  I had already heard the news so I knew what happened. A sweet little boy had lost the fight. Sharon proceeded to tell me that she knew he was a special spirit since the first day she met him. She said he had something about him, she said he had an “old soul.” I met his mother a couple of weeks before Christmas. She was very quiet and sweet. You could see the hurt in her eyes then. My heart aches for her and her sweet little boy. Sharon said that last time he was here, he was in the same room that we are now in. His little brother was coming to visit him. The blinds in this room do not work very well. Sharon said he was sitting at the window crying because he couldn’t see his brother leaving because the crazy blinds would not open. I decided I must fix these blinds! I have been working on them for a while and I think I’ve got it!

When I think about Sharon’s words when she said this little boy had an “Old Soul” I seriously got chills up my spine. I have a family picture here in our room and on 2 occasions I have had a nurse tell me that Kristen has an “Old Soul” I chose to interpret that to mean she is wise beyond her years. Our children fighting cancer need that. Every child that I have met that is fighting cancer has that quality…Wisdom. Somehow they just know.

Thank You for your continued support! Kristen loves her cards and letters.

7 comments:

Lacey said...

I hate when a child is lost around you. there is a cute house cleaner on the surgical until that everyone loves and affectionatly calls Dora's mom, because she looks like Dora the Explorer!

Tina said...

How painful hearing about a child losing their battle with this dreaded disease, and how strong any parent has to be when their child is fighting it, Just another reminder of how thankful we must be for each day and the small joys they bring.
I do hope home is on the cards tomorrow, prayers and positive energy continue to flow your way.

The VW's said...

Hope you make it home soon and I'll be praying that insurance approves soon! LOVE, HUGS AND PRAYERS!!!

ABandCsMom said...

It just plain stinks to hear about a child who has lost the battle to the evil beast. Breaks my heart.

Happy to hear the Kristen now has some numbers. Good sign! Hope you find yourselves back in the comfort of your own home this week.

I'm getting more ticked off at your insurance company. The nerve of them..taking their sweet time.

You remain in our prayers.

Heather said...

Sending you love and strength on these rough days,when the emotions are running so high and all you want to do is run.

I swear,every floor has a "Sharon".We all fell in live with one special on ourselves .. Zoey lit up everytime she walked in the room.Although there was a huge language barrier,it didn't matter,we knew she loved Zoey and all the children.You saw it in her eyes.The fact of the matter is ... you saw the housekeepers sometimes more then the doctors!!

The loss of our friends and the pain that families must endure daily makes itutterly unbearable on some days.Beyond what we could ever explain to anyone.

Praying that word from the insurance company comes soon and that you all get to go home before long.Seriously making me mad that there is a wait at all!

Much love from California.

Monica said...

Thinking of, hoping, and praying for Kristen and all of her family!!

Thank you God for Sharon and all the other angels among us!

Angi said...

I am happy to hear Kristen's counts are looking ok (and coming up on their own)...the story of the "old soul" hits a button with me too, this is how they described my niece during her 5 month stay at Childrens' Boston, I will choose to take it in the manner of "positive"- children battling any illness are given something extra special to "help" them move forward with a smile, they are strong and it is meant for them to give us strength as well...{hugs}