I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Hair is coming out and some Good Wishes

Once again the reality of this awful disease is staring me in the face, another outward appearance of the inward struggle that is going on inside of Kristen's frail body. Her pillow and pajamas are once again covered in hair. Kristen really hates losing her hair. In the past she looks in the mirror and rubs her head and says, "My Hair?" She was finally getting a full and darling head of hair. It came in darker and with curl and body. Last night after her shower I took some
pictures of her sitting in her bed with her cute hair, knowing that is was thinning and would soon be replaced with skin.

This morning I came across a Good Wishes Program from France Luxe . Good Wishes, an Laurie Erickson USA® program, provides a scarf or an It’s a Wrap to women and girls experiencing a thinning or loss of hair due to illness or treatment at no cost. Each scarf is a gift of hope that carries with it the support and good wishes of our staff and represents the strength and beauty of the woman or child who wears it. I already called and Kristen has a pink scarf on the way.
I love that there are so many caring people in the world.

As Kristen and I sit here day after day waiting for her bone marrow to recover from the intense chemo, I have plenty of time to think about what truly matters in life. Kristen has given me the knowledge that true courage and strength do exist. Courage has taken on a whole new meaning for me. The Webster's Dictionary defines courage as mental or moral strength; to venture, persevere and withstand danger, fear or difficulty; and tenacity, stubborn persistence and unwillingness to acknowledge defeat. There are many unsung heroes who exemplify true courage and bravery whom many do not even recognize.
They are the children with cancer.




7 comments:

Lacey said...

I hate that you have to watch your daughters hair fall out again. It makes me sad that once again you have to go through this. We love you and continue to pray that everything goes smooth.

Zactly said...

Hi,
So sorry for your daughter's struggles. This may not interest you, but I felt compelled to mention it. Since your daughter has had to deal with cancer several times, I thought you might like to learn about/ possibly implement the Hallelujah Diet ;once you are home again. Seems there are a lot of people overcoming cancer by using The Hallelujah Diet. www.hacres.com/ Maybe a way to stay in remission.?. A lady at our church has gotten her cancer to go away 2 times using this diet.
blessings,
Vickie

Heather said...

What an awesome program.I am only sorry Kristen needs one.I wish I could take this from you all.Instead I send you prayers.All of you.Most especially your amazing hero.

stephanie said...

Well no words of wisdom from me, it stinks that Kristen is going through this and it stinks that she is losing her pretty hair.
The good part ...when she's done kicking the crap outta this beast, her beautiful hair will return, victorious!
Meanwhile sending prayers !!!

Sasha said...

Awe that's tough with the hair loss. Not fun. Glad to hear that they are sending her a beautiful scarf to wear. Sending hugs and warm thoughts your way.

Tina said...

Continue to pray for you and for Kristin, for your angel to withstand this with as little pain as possible. I feel so sad that you are having to go through this all over again for the fourth time. Pray for your strength.

Ruby's Mom said...

Today I mailed a card, and a hat that I crocheted for Kristin.There are also two cards that my six year old daughter made.I hope Kristin enjoys them :)
Ya'll are always in my thoughts and prayers.