I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Monday, November 9, 2009

Hoping for Another Miracle

For the past few days I have been hoping that Wednesday would never get here. and now it is staring me in the face.  I have been busy trying to get things done. I went shopping and bought Kristen new pajamas a robe and some really cute froggy slippers.  Earlier today I told Kristen the news...that she was very sick AGAIN and that we needed to go to the hospital to get some medicine.  I told her that we were going to sleep there and the first thing she said was a great BIG "I don't want to!"  She then continued to tell me that she did not want a central line.  I showed her the bruise on her arm and said that if we had the central line she wouldn't have to get poked and have an IV.  She was mad at me for the rest of the day.  Whenever someone would walk into the room she would say, "I'm mad at mom, she's mean."  Finally after several hours she warmed up and I think she likes me again...until Wednesday when I begin to pack our suitcases.

The Festival of Trees is an event that is held here in Salt Lake City to raise money for Primary Children's Hospital. Anyone can donate a decorated tree.  Several months ago  my daughter, Kamie, decided she was going to donate a tree to honor Kristen.  She had to register her tree and choose a name.  She chose to name her tree "Another Miracle." She chose this name because Kristen was once again cancer free after battling cancer her third time.  Friday when we got the confirmation that Kristen had indeed relapsed Kamie decided to rename Kristen's tree.  She said she was going to add "Hoping for" to the name.  The tree will now be called
 "Hoping for Another Miracle" 
That is just we are doing.  Hoping for another miracle.  I know that we once again have an insurmountable obstacle in front of us.  The road is dark and it is long. However, we have been blessed with this bright beautiful light.  Her name is Kristen and I know she will once again light the way for us. It is her magical light that gives us hope. 

7 comments:

Heather said...

We are all hoping and praying for a miracle right alongside you Polly.I so hate that Kristen has to go back.I hate that you all have to watch her endure another onslaught of drugs and procedures.I hate,hate,hate cancer.

What I do love is the name of the tree Kamie.I immediately also thought how neat it might be to have some of those cool little bracelets,the rubber ones made,in Kristen's favorite color.How all of us who love her and are inspired by her, could wear them as daily reminders,that we will accept no less.Just a thought.Maybe someone could email me if they think that is a good idea and I could get the ball rolling on it.

Love to you all.Wish I were closer so I could do something.Anything.For now my prayers will have to do.

stephanie said...

Go with the bracelets!!!! that's a great idea! We'll all get them and send her pictures of us wearing them... Kristen would get a hot out of that!
Sending you strength and prayers!

grammygwen said...

I am behind on reading my blogs and just now found out about Kristen's relapse. I am so sorry. I still believe in miracles and I will be praying so hard for Kristen. Keeping all of you in my prayers, I know how hard it is. I love Kristen even though I only know her through your blog.
God Bless
Gwen

Leah said...

Hi there! I'm Leah. My 13 year old daughter Angela has DS. I found your blog via Sarah ("class of 2008" blog) I'm so sorry that Kristen has relapsed again!

I hate that I'm the bad guy when it comes to the medical stuff. Angela has a couple very rare conditions that cause her a lot of pain, and it's always me that is responsible for subjecting her to the awful tests and procedures. I always have that discussion in my head, the one about deciding when is the best time to tell there is more coming. I will say a prayer for your heart, and your spirit, as well as for Kristen and the rest of your family.

That said, I think the bracelets is a FANTASTIC idea! I know that we'd be wearing a houseful of them here.

Peter Olson said...

I can't imagine how much that must hurt having to see your child go through this again. She only blames you because she can't see who else to be mad at.
I didn't like the central catheter either but it sure is a lot better than getting poked all the time.
Maybe you could plan a celebration for when it gets taken out? I don't know. I was very happy when I could take a shower without all that plastic wrap and tape over the catheter.
I pray that God gives you the wisdom and strength to make it through to another miracle.
May God bless you with many more joy filled days ahead and the hope to see it through until then.

Lacey said...

I will be looking for that tree. I wanted to do a tree for all down syndrome but got started to late, so i'll start right now for next year.
I can't imagine trying to explain to her and she doesn't understand whats going on and why she has to go to the hospital again. Praying for another miracle.

Chromosomally Enhanced said...

We are thinking about you and your family...please keep us updated..smiles