I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Finally made it to the dentist


Kristen finally made it to the dentist. I say finally as it has taken probably 15 months to get her work done. She was scheduled for her procedure a year age, 3 days after we found out she had leukemia. So of course we canceled. Since you are not supposed to have dental work done while on chemo we had to postpone it for a really long time. Her blood counts were finally good enough for the appointment. We already knew she needed some work done as per appointment 15 months ago. However, we didn't know exactly how much. Seems the chemo turns off your saliva producing and the dentist said because of this and all the chemo and antibiotics she had cavities where people usually don't get them. Most were on the inside along her gums. Her appointment was scheduled like a surgery with an anesthesiologist and the whole works. They started with some gas and them slipped in an IV and gave her something to put her completely out and then even inserted a breathing tube. It took about 1 1/2 hours. When she woke up her nose was bleeding and she wasn't too happy. I will keep her on tylenol for the rest of today in hopes of keeping her comfortable. She has been holding a warm rice bag on one cheek and a cold wash cloth on the other. She has asked for soup, jello and coke so I think things are looking up.

7 comments:

ABandCsMom said...

Interesting that the dentist told you about the lack of saliva. Carly's dentist told me there really wasn't damage done due to chemo. Of course, our experience with him was none too good. Hmm.

Sounds like she is on the mend. Asking for things she likes is a good sign!

Peter Olson said...

Poor girl. That's rough.
I'm going to ask if I can see the dentist again at my next BMT Doctor appointment. (9/29/09)
It's nice to have nice cleaned teeth. But I'm not looking forward to the cleaning process.
:-)

Emily said...

Thank you for visiting my blog! I love new blog friends!
Your Angel is beautiful!

Chief said...

you think the girl could catch a break. She shouldn't have to go to the dentist!!!

Lacey said...

Ugh feel better soon. Thats my kind of dentist app. Put me out and fix everything at once.

stephanie said...

Oh Kristen. You must be all better by now. That was quite a procedure.

Edward said...

Encino dentists are great dentists who know this about Encino and why they chose to practice there. Most dentists want the family clientele so they go out of their way to make coming to their office