I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Insurmountable Obstacles Conquered



Last September when Kristen was diagnosed with leukemia I felt it was an insurmountable obstacle. It was a horrific time for all of us. Although Kristen had been through this before this time was somehow different. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. She was so very sick. However, Kristen had something else in mind. She had the will to live and to fight each passing moment. My sweet girl astounded all of us. It was her that guided us by her magical light. This brings us to yesterday...the final step in treatment. Her central line was removed. To me, her line was one of those outward appearances, much like her balding head, that inside was a sick little girl. Today she stands free, Free of the line protruding out of her chest, Free of cancer, Free to be in the place she loves, HOME! And her head...bald no more.


With this post is a pic of my family. They are the ones who stood by me and basically carried both Kristen and I for the last 8 months. As Kristen and I spent most of the 8 months in the hospital...they were the ones who were left without a mother and a wife. They were the ones left with a sick sister and daughter. I was blessed to have 6 children. Katy is 28 married to Charlie and has 3 beautiful children. Rick is 25 married to Lisa and has 2 children (sara was born 2 weeks before the picture) Kristen in next and is 23 followed by Kamie who is 20 then comes Kim 18 and Ryan finishes up our family at 15. Richard and I have been married for almost 30 years. Richard never complained over the last 8 months, (I wish I could say the same for myself) He woke early everyday, made sure Ryan was on the bus then off to work he would go. He worked all day, came home, showered and drove the 30 minutes to the hospital. He then would stay sometimes till 11 at night then venture home to reach bed by midnight then start all over again the next day. Kamie and Kim soon became Ryan's mom, getting him to football and then baseball, getting him something to eat and then making sure his homework was done. Kamie and Kim also kept the house, picked up groceries and never did they miss a day of coming to the hospital for a visit. This time was hard for Katy and Rick as they both wanted to visit, but having small children, we decided it would be best for Kristen if the kids stayed away at least while her counts were low. I could go on and on about my amazing family, I just want them to know how much I appreciated how they all stood tall and did much more than was expected of them. We as a family are changed...forever changed. We stood shoulder to shoulder doing what we knew had to be done. Living in the moment and taking steps into the darkness knowing that we would be led...and led we were.


A quick note about the pictures. Kristen had just finished round 1 of chemo and had spent the last 6 weeks in the hospital. We were all together for my mothers birthday and I felt it was important that we get a picture of all of us together. As you can see we are quite a bunch of clowns, especially Ryan, no one was really happy with the way they looked, nevertheless, we are all together in the picture. I had the pic made big and it made each trip to the hospital where Kristen could look at it often.

6 comments:

Lacey said...

Yeah for no more lines, and no more chemo. I'm so happy for you guys.

Kele said...

So glad you left a comment so I could make my way to your blog! I will be back when I have time to read all about your Angel!
If you go to etsy.com and type in 'a little bit of everything' the necklace my husband purchased for me for Mother's day, should come up. Thanks again for stopping by!!

Jana said...

Aunt Polly, I love the family pictures, totally you guys!! Oh and by the way 222 days until Christmas, but I guess we don't really see each other on Christmas so technically 221 until Christmas Eve.

Megs said...

This is Megan from Ellie's Gift. I would love to be able to put Kristen's Story on the blog. If you are interested please contact me at megardoodle@yahoo.com

stephanie said...

What a beautiful post,and family. What a blessing to have them all to help during Kristens treatment.I'm so glad this is all done for Kristen, and you and your family.Wishing you nothing but good times!

Beth said...

I know I've been to your blog before, but couldn't find it again until now (through Sarah's blog 2008). Glad to hear the good news about The End of Chemo for Kristen!!

You family is beautiful--love the pictures! May Kristen regain her strength quickly.