I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Friday, April 17, 2009

Cancer FREE!


I got the call yesterday that I had been waiting all week for... Kristen's bone marrow test results are in. At First Dana, the nurse practitioner, said, "well...her bone marrow has recovered and that is good." I'm thinking OK what else???? she then proceeded to say, "and there are no leukemia cells." Yes! I probably yelled in her ear. In the next day or 2 someone will call me to schedule an appointment with the surgeon to have her central line removed. Then the plan will be monthly blood checks at the clinic for the next year. It has been just over 7 months...7 of the worst months of my life. I am supposed to be happy to finally be done with chemo. I am happy...but scared. For the past 7 months Kristen has had chemotherapy kind of like a protective umbrella, it took the leukemia away and kept it from falling on her again. Now that the treatment is finished, Kristen has to stand in the rain without that umbrella. Sometimes I wish I didn't have the luxury of google. You don't know how many times I have typed in the words, 'acute myeloid leukemia survival rate' 'leukemia prognosis' just to name a few. I know the cure rate is not that great for AML. It must be the protective mother in me or something I really need to stop worrying! Kristen is fine! It has been a long 7 months and maybe I need a little more time. I am usually a positive person, I have always been able to find the good in every thing. A few weeks ago I was talking to my oldest son, Rick, about Kristen and her plight. He told me something that I wish he would have told me a few months ago. Kristen's first week in the hospital was tough. She was so very sick and the chemo had begun. It only took a few days and her lungs began to fill with fluid. She was sent to ICU to have chest tubes put in. She was not doing good and things seemed to be getting worst with every passing hour. My husband and my son Rick gave her a blessing. Rick told me that he truly thought that he was going to ask that she be relieved from her pain and suffering. He felt in his heart that she was too sick to go on any longer. He then went on to tell me that as he started the prayer, he was inspired to say something completely opposite than what he had thought. He was inspired to bless her that she would be healed, that her pain would be minimal and that she would recover quickly. 2 days later we left ICU and returned to the 4th floor. I should stop rambling for now as I am still having a hard time getting my thoughts in order. I truly am happy beyond words that the chemo is finished and the cancer in gone. It truly is a miracle, Kristen is the miracle.

6 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

FABULOUS NEWS!!!! PRAISING GOD WITH YOU!

Nicki Christensen Swilor said...

Thank God! I can't stop crying. This is the best blog. Me and Luke are so happy! I couldn't even see through my tears. We are so happy for you all! We love you!

grammygwen said...

PRAISE THE LORD. I am so happy to hear this news.

Michelle said...

Oh congrats to you all! What a blessing. So glad she has gotten through this...that all of you have. Our prayers have changed from pleading and asking, to thanking and prayers of gratitude...blessings to you all!

Heather said...

What news.What wonderful,wonderful news.I know all too well your worry and fear.I find ,for me,I stay clear of the internet searching.I decided long ago that Zoey's life is going to be what Zoey's life will be.And as hard as it is to speak it and I don't think I have ever,ever have spoken this but ... her life will be here with us or healed in Heaven with our Heavenly Father.I know which one I want but I know too that my control is not the issue here.Instead my lack of control or the fact I never, ever had it to begin with.Kristen is our inspiration.My reason to say:Zoey will survive.She will make it.She will overcome this,just as she has every other obstacle placed before her.Thank you for the sharing of your beautiful daughter and the journey your family has taken or rather the journey she has taken you all on.A beautiful,amazing journey that WILL continue.God bless you all and cover you in His amazing grace.And my He give peace to your days so that you might cherish all of your moments with your incredible daughter.

Lacey said...

Yeah, I'm so excited for you. Congrats!!