I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Patience Learned







I decided long ago that being impatient and maybe a little stubborn are two traits that are intertwined to chromosome 21. And being that Kristen has an extra #21 chromosome she got an extra dose of impatience and stubbornness. Once Kristen has made up her mind about something, it usually doesn't change. I think "immovable" is a good word. I'm not sayin that she isn't the sweetest little pumpkin out there, I'm just saying that she knows what she does or doesn't want and getting her to come over to your side hasn't always been easy. When Kristen had leukemia when she was 3 years old, if she didn't want to cooperate with procedures or vitals it wasn't to hard to sit her on my lap and hold her down. Well now that she is 22 and weighs about 85 pounds holding her down isn't really an option. You see Kristen has a life, she has a routine, oh does she have a routine! Getting her out of her routine doesn't sit well with her. So 7 months ago when she was diagnosed with leukemia, I knew it was going to be hard... Hard to get her to the doctor, hard to get her to pack her suitcase and leave home for the hospital for a months stay at a time, Hard to leave the comforts of her home and her "Stuff" and Oh does she have stuff! I thought many times...only if she could be a little more manageable, a little more understanding, a little less stubborn and a lot more patient. Tomorrow morning starts day 24 in the hospital of this round. Kristen has once again touched my heart. She is manageable, she is understanding, she is less stubborn and she has learned patience in a huge way! And she has taught me the meaning of the word patient. I found that is best to tell her exactly what is going on and what is supposed to happen next. When the nurse comes in for yet another set of vitals and she hides under her covers, I say, "Kristen, we just want you to get better because we love you," she pops her head out from under the covers and she says, "Oh!" and then she proceeds to lift her arm up for the cuff. When she sits in that bed day after day and yells, "I want to go home!" I just have to tell her that we still need a little more medicine and it will be a few more days, she again replies with, "Oh!" I've kept a chart of the last 7 months. The green is home and the pink is hospital. I have also put her blood counts on each day and other important information. I taped it together so it is on one page and it is hanging on Kristen's bulletin board. Every day I color in the day. Kristen asked me what that was for and I explained it to her. It wasn't long and I noticed her jump out of bed, marker in hand, and she went to the chart and colored in the next day pink. The next day she did the same thing only she colored the day green and she said HOME! I took a picture of the chart, you really can't see the info, but the days are clear. We have been in the hospital more than we have been home. I'm not really sure when her counts are going to start coming up so we can break out of this place. Nothing is happening yet, so it could be a while. For now she waits patiently and she continues to fight this in true Kristen style full of dignity and hope. I am so thankful she is such a little fighter and has such a will to live! Her main goal is to go HOME!

3 comments:

Lacey said...

Praying you get to get out of there soon, she's had luekemia twice, geez, what a fighter.

grammygwen said...

Praying that you get home soon.

Rochelleht said...

Oh, isn't it SOOO true about the stubbornness?? People always say, "Isn't Derick the sweetest thing?" I say, "As long as he isn't ticked off!" ;-) I'm glad that Kristen seems to be learning right along with you. What a blessing!!!