I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

And Now We Wait...

It has been a week since we finished the chemo and things seem good so far. The Doctor was just in and I was saying how well Kristen seems, He was quick to remind me that her total white count is .0 and her ANC is also 0. He said things happen fasts and reminded me why we are here waiting and waiting. He reminded me that it is common for these AML kids to seem great one minute and the next minute they are in ICU. He said not long ago and AML patient was happy and even playing basketball in his room, then about an hour later he got a page and the boy had been taken to ICU to be treated for sepsis shock. Thanks, as if I wasn't already paranoid enough! Kristen got platelets yesterday, and by the looks of things, she will need blood and more platelets in a day or 2. It is only 11am and she has already told me twice, "I wanna go HOME!" I have been rather upset by a couple of articles I have read recently. 2 weeks ago in the Deseret News there was an article titled, Down Syndrome; A modern-day death sentence. It states that at least 90% of babies diagnosed with down syndrome are being aborted in what he calls one of the most ruthlessly effective extermination programs in modern times. There is also an article in April 1, 2009 edition of 'Woman's Day" titled "Would you like fries with that baby?" In this article is states that this year as new noninavasive tests come available, down syndrome can be diagnosed with 100% accuracy in the first trimester. It suggests that the down syndrome population could be eliminated altogether! Are you kidding me? Just because our kids have been labeled as "marginally productive" they don't have the right to be born??? Somedays I'm marginally productive, did someone want to take me out back and shoot me? All I can say at this point is that having a child with down syndrome has been nothing but a blessing in my life. She has taught me the meaning of life and every day she reminds me why I am here and helps keep me grounded. She has touched more lives that I can even begin to mention. She has a spirit about her that you could find no where else. I thank God every day for sending her to me. She is truly a miracle and an angel among us. And now she needs your prayers...Say a little prayer for her.

1 comment:

Lacey said...

Praying that everything stays quiet. I did hear from someone that 90% of people still abort down syndrome fetus's. Oh my gosh, even now days people are that niave as to what t21 kids can really do?