I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Saturday, January 31, 2009

REMARKABLE!

We are still at the lovely PCMC Hotel (Primary Children's Medical Center). 3 weeks, but who's counting? I AM!!! Kristen's ANC hit big zero last Saturday. We are still waiting for count recovery. She had 2 units of blood and 3 bags of platelets during the past week. She had a fever on Thursday night so of course she is now on major anti-biotics. It is hard to guess when her counts will recover. It could be any day or it could be another week to 10 days. The funniest thing...Kristen is not hooked to her IV pole as she is drinking enough, so she is free to roam the room. I get nervous when she does cause I always think she is going to fall or even worse try to escape. every once in a while I need to leave the room to... oh I don't know...run to the ladies room, or go buy a pepsi or get something for Kristen. Last night I went down to get her some milk. I made her promise she wouldn't get out of bed. So I ran fast and when i got back her bed was empty. First my heart stops, then I look in the bathroom...There she is sitting on the toilet eating my banana, and wearing her huge lamb slippers and when I said KRISTEN! She smiled and flipped her feet at me and said, Baa, Baa! That girl hasn't lost her spunk. This morning Dr. Lemons came in to check on Kristen. He is the head oncologist and well he is pretty much amazing. He was here 18 years ago when Kristen had leukemia the first time. He said she looks great and then he continued, "She is remarkable, I'm amazed at how well she has done." This is good coming from him. I'm feeling pretty good as far as Kristen has responded to the chemo. Things look good for her. But it still doesn't change the fact that we have about 6-8 weeks to go until the treatment is done. I have learned that things change fast. One minute we are fine and within an hour we can be in ICU fighting for life. The cancer might be under control, but the treatments are hard on her. I compare it to being hit by a truck. So we will continue to take things one day at a time. Even when treatments are finally done, there is always the chance for relapse. This never seems to leave my mind. We will treasure Kristen and know that her being with us is a blessing. She is the light of our lives! Say a little prayer for her.

4 comments:

Nicki Christensen Swilor said...

She is so cute! Baa Baa. That's hilarious. I have a little Hannah Montana gift for her. I will get it to Kelli or drop it off at your house this week.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

When you get a chance, There's an award for you on my blog!

Lea White said...

Wow, she is so incredibly brave and she is really beautiful! We are currently walking the leukemia road and know how frustrating it can be to be stuck in hospital!

I will keep checking in on you guys and I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts!!!!


Lea White
http://whitesinnz.blogspot.com

grammygwen said...

I just found your blog from Renee Garcia's. I will be praying for sweet Kristen and your family every day. My heart breaks every time that I hear of a child fighting this battle and for Kristen this is her third time. I am so sorry that all of you are going through this again.
Keeping all of you in my prayers.
God Bless
Gwen