I created this blog when my sweet little girl, Kristen, was diagnosed with cancer, for the third time. After fighting for almost 3 years Kristen was called home to that same God who gave her life. One of my favorite quotes comes from Neal A. Maxwell- "Those who "plow in hope" not only understand the law of the harvest but they also understand what growing seasons are all about. True, those with genuine hope may see their proximate circumstances shaken like a kaleidoscope at times, yet with the "Eye of faith" they still see divine design." Kristen blessed lives and continues to do so. Her light continues to shine. As for me, I continue to "plow in hope" knowing well that Kristen is mine for eternity. Families can be together forever!

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Finally out of ICU

Kristen has had a hard few weeks. She was admitted to the hospital on Monday, September 8th, Her central line was put in on Tuesday and on Wednesday chemo began. By Thursday night she was in ICU, Because they gave her so much fluid to help with the chemo, she started to retain it. Her lungs were filling up with fluid fast. She was sent to ICU to have chest tubes put in. She seemed uncomfortable at times but she was also on a lot of drugs for nausea and I think she was almost in a sedated state for about 4 days. After 5 days in PICU we went back to the ICS unit. The tubes stayed in for about 10 days. It was such a relief to get those tubes out. She seems to be doing a little better each day.
Reality finally hit as I leaned over to hug Kristen. She had been crying because she wanted to go home. I put the side rails on the bed down to hug her and as I pulled away my black jacket was covered with Kristen's hair. She sits in bed and tried to eat a cup of orange jello and she is soon pulling a piece of hair out of her mouth. The hair is down her back and down her chest. I keep trying to brush it away cause I think of the discomfort when I get one piece of hair down my shirt, I have to pull over when I am driving to get it out. Now she has a bald spot on the back of her head. The reality...Cancer...and now it is staring at me every day. Where once was darling brown hair with brightly colored bows, now it is strands of hair with baldness underneath. I think I will go shopping for some hats...lots of them! In every color!

No comments: